Toshiba to Release HD-DVD Player - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 10th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #16
Major Player

wal-mart drops HD-DVD's

Walmart was taking orders until March 4 and now customers are getting emails saying the orders have been canceled.

Wal-Mart was selling the HD-DVD titles from $25.48 to 29.98.

The titles were from Warner and with the email from Wal-Mart stating that title maybe available in the future tells me that the movies will not be showing up in March.

check out Video Business for the article at http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6315184.html
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #17
Major Player

Blue Ray Hmmmm.

I don't know if I'd be too quick to jump into bed with Sony and Blue-Ray. The Blue-Ray format is in large part Sony's reluctance to embrace Mpeg4-10/h.264 as the preferred HD format. They need to have 30-40gig discs to play back HD at Mpeg-2 compression. Toshiba's HDDVD format is cheaper, building on existing technology, and also more compatible with the current format. Blue-Ray requires different hardware wheras the Toshiba format is more a question of software. Betamax, Minidisc, SACD. 'Nuff Said.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #18
Major Player

Burn BD-R and Region Free HD players

I'm only stating that it looks like the discs will be delayed.

And now for something else.

I got the info at http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1154

Sony will start shipping writeable BD-R and RW discs in Europe later this month. The cost is expected to be around $30 for BD-R and $36 for BD-RW. Sony also states that Dual-layer discs will be available later in 2006.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03...-dvd_roll-out/

Toshiba will release region free HD-DVD players in Europe next month. It'll be Toshiba's Qosmio G30 laptop. The player will not check for region coding.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #19
Trustee

Crutchfield has two Toshiba HD-DVD players already listed on their site, "Ship date uncertain." One is $500, and the other is $800.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #20
Inner Circle

There is also a rumor that MS will be shipping a new xbox360 soon with HDDVD.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #21
Major Player

PS3 to launch in November.

Recent news from the Associated French Press released 1hr 22mins ago from now.

Quote: TOKYO (AFP) - Sony said it will delay the launch of the PlayStation 3 by about six months to November, boosting Microsoft's efforts to win a bigger share of the multi-billion dollar video game industry.

I'm sure Toshiba is breathing easier now. Even if their system has been delayed to late April, if they can get enough people to purchase HD-DVD before November, HD-DVD will probably become the new standard.

Off course Samsung and Pioneer will be releasing the Blu-Ray players soon, so I'm thinking either I can jump on the bandwagon with a dual player or I'll have to wait till the standard is set.
John Kang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News