Movie Gallery to sublease space at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 20th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Movie Gallery to sublease space

Movie Gallery who also currently owns Hollywood Videos is planning on subleasing space in their video stores.

Movie Gallery which has been losing money is expecting to turn things around with this new venture.

Source: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...36c8baf4800284

Also, it mentions Netflix is planning on offering High Def DVD's at no extra cost per rental to its customers.

Also, since there has been topics about the Movie Theatre experience, the current statistics shows 8 out of 10 movie goers are satisfied with the theatrical experience. Overall 69% perfer watching movies at the theatres.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Did they consider the affordability affects preference?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think the ratio will change as more and more people invest in quality home theater equipment.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Major Player

It'll be awfully lonely just watching a movie all on your own. I find that even with family I don't have as much fun as in the movie theatres, it's just the experience of going out to the movies where everyone is there for the same reason, like to see Ice Age 2, and you can be comfortable and have everything you need for movie watching, such as drinks and snacks.

To be at home, you'd have to go out to the store and buy snacks (if you don't have them already), make them up yourself, put the movie in, adjust the volume and lights, and have to deal with the usual home business (ie. phone rings, dogs bark, cats jump on your lap, power could go out, neighbors could be doing yard work, children could be misbehaving/causing pain and/or general chaos, and you could overeat from the availability of easy access snacks).

There's incentive for you not to overdo anything when going to the movie theatre. Every theatre-goer is given seven priorties:

1. Get there in time.
2. Get the tickets.
3. Get drinks and/or snacks. (optional)
4. Sit down.
5. Turn off your cell phone.
6. Be quiet.
7. Watch the movie.

That's all. Nobody is going to hassle you, make you work, or make you spend more than need be.

I know there are stupid rude people in theatres a lot of the time that talk and do jerk things, but does anybody go out and complain? The theatre people can have somebody removed, it's not something anybody has to put up with, if there's a problem, let somebody at the theatre know.

But in any case, I don't think theatres will die out. If theatres die out just because you can get the equipment for your home, then shouldn't sports like basketball be dead since you can go out and buy basketballs and hoop setups? Nope. It's something to do, not a matter of whether you can have that at home, heck, people have had the ability to have home theatres since the 80's with Betamax and VHS, theatres didn't die then, the years afterwards, or with DVD's and they certainly won't die now.
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Trustee

Well, we can have the same experience at home : )

Wait on the porch for an hour.

Give your kid $10 each at the door.

Invite your rude neighbores in; the one with politcal issues, the nervous twitch, and one who snores loudly and has problems clearing his throat, and the ever so likable born again christain.

Pay your kid $8 each for a box of popcorn and soda with too much ice.

smear a little cooking oil onto the screen to decrease image sharpness.

stick an annoying piece of dirt in the lower right corner.

Sit on a highback office chair, not directly in front of the screen.

Crank the volume one notch too high

Keep your hands off the remote, and don't go to the bathroom.

Have everyone toss their empty containers and half-full boxes of popcorn onto the floor.

When the movies over, don't retire to the bedroom. Go out to your car, in the freezing cold, and drive out five miles and then back again.

Actually, what I do miss is are the movie drive-ins. Ah, we can fix that.. Get a big sheet...

Just kidding... In all seriousness, I agree, nothing beats the actual movie experience.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #6
Major Player

The theater is great for "event" movies. Stuff that really should be better seen in a large group on the big screen. The Lord of the Rings for instance. Or The Matrix. Or big comedies. Movies you know everyone is really excited to see.

But for everything else DVD is fine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News