A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 11th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #1
Major Player

A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True?

A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True?
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/..._41_ghz_cores/
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #2
New Boot

I just read a magazine article that they overclocked one of those to a little over 4 ghz using water cooling. You should lap and polish the heat spreader and the heatsink.

Using quality components it is possible. However, long term durability is questionable in my book.
Dale Mellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Overclocking isn't good for video guys, we work in the long run and don't upgrade often. I'm both a videogamer and a video guy, so I can see the importance of this news. However, overclocking isn't for the Average Joe. It's expensive and it's risky, more so than the video world even! =)

So, don't read too hard into this. If Intel could make a dual-core processor like that run at 4ghz with rock-solid stability, they'd have done that by now instead of beating around the bush with these incremental upgrades. Especially now that they have Apple on their list of clients.
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Trustee

yeah well at $130.00 if you fry the thing out just go buy another one. you could go through 7 of these and it would still be cheaper than getting a top of the line cpu. The only thing I would be concerned about is if it is stable. Toms Hardware did say at 3.6 GHZ it was very stable.

Still I'm not sure if I would do this either. Lets just say I am too much of a chicken @#%& to overclock anything.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #5
Major Player

133 MHz (533 QDR) FSB with only an increase to around 190 MHz when reaching into the high 3 ghz? Not good enough.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #6
Trustee

I have to agree with some of you. Overclocking is great for what it's worth, but only for what it's worth. Data corruption that isn't noticed until months later when you go to use footage is not fun. A few extra frames in a video game or few seconds faster render in an NLE isn't worth the pain in the @ss overclocking can be. As was said, intel's yields don't allow for 4GHz on a wide scale, yet. My Pentium D 930 overclocks to 3.8GHz on air cooling, and runs great at that speed. Does that mean it is NOT making miscalculations, NO. Save yourself the trouble and possible future headaches. Overclocking is for gamers and enthusiasts, NOT for those who want a stable -ACCURATE system.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News