News posts from 2002 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 10th, 2002, 11:05 AM   #136
Inner Circle

Heres another link for this camera.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/hd_recording_camcorder_jvc_ceatec_japan_10_02_02.htm

don't know how dependable she is, basically saying the camera may be here by late next year for under 3K (according to her sources at JVC).
I seriously doubt that, considering what it would to to the rest of the JVC line up.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 11:09 AM   #137
Inner Circle

More info.

Ken Freed, an official JVC sales rep, says over at the cow forum that this camera is strictly a concept camera designed to generate discussion. There are currently no plans to make this cam for the general public. Or even produce it at all.
Of course they started out saying that with the dy300u also.
Old October 10th, 2002, 11:12 AM   #138
Regular Crew

Hm.. im wondering about one thing here.. does this mean it records the HD in Mpeg-2 compression? Wouldn't that mean it will hurt the image quality even more than DV? im especially thinking about adding noise to the image when either capturing gradients or making the green/blue screen compositors life a nightmare.

Even DV in its 1.st generation can be a real problem with compositing due to the introduced noise in the compression.

Just curious... "coz i shure wanna HD cam :)"

/Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 11:43 AM   #139
Inner Circle

docuwild, what officials at JVC are saying is this camera is nothing more than a non functioning prototype put together by some engineers in a lab. It is not a demo of an actual product to be sold.
Turns out this is just like those prototype cars you see at autoshows.
Doesn't mean something won't come out of it, but don't expect to see this camera anywhere anytime in the near future.

In other words, further speculation about this camera is a total waste of bandwidth. in fact this is the last post I'll make about it.
Old October 14th, 2002, 04:27 PM   #140
Brian Curtin

hahaha, then you can sue me for patent infringement peter
Old October 14th, 2002, 06:12 PM   #141
Inner Circle

SAY IT LOUD, SAY IT PROUD
PNG, open source, patent free. PNG

hehehe
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:15 AM   #142
Regular Crew

>>docuwild, what officials at JVC are saying
>>is this camera is nothing more than a non
>>functioning prototype

This camera was displayed on CEATEC and produced a picture. That means it has working optics and CCD, focusing.

Balazs
Balazs Rozsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 10:51 AM   #143
Inner Circle

Hmm, then someone needs to figure out whats going on. JVC over hear says this camera will not be for sale. It's just a prototype. I'll ask Ken Freed again what's going on.
Old October 15th, 2002, 05:17 PM   #144
Wrangler

News: IEEE 1394b (aka FireWire 2.0)

With USB 2.0 just starting to become a standard feature on new PC motherboards, the 1394 Trade Association has announced specifications for IEEE 1394b (aka FireWire 2.0). IEEE 1394a supported serial transfer speeds of 400 Mbps; USB 2.0 topped that with speeds of up to 480 Mbps. Whereas 1394a thrived in the domain of digital video camera data transfer, 1394b is intended to be a networking standard with speeds of 800 Mbps for starters and, within one and five years, respectively, 1.6 Gbps and 3.2 Gbps; and maximum cable lengths of up to 50 meters (or 100 m using plastic optical fiber). Industry adoption may be even slower than USB 2.0, however, because whereas USB 2.0 capability is generally built into the chipset, FireWire standards require an additional chip.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 11:57 AM   #145
Wrangler

Here's the English press release

Tokyo, JP - Reports from CEATEC Japan, the Image, Information and Communications trade show held near Tokyo, say JVC is displaying a new consumer camcorder capable of recording high definition (HD) signals.

The camcorder is reported to record high definition 720 x 480 progressive scan mode in a 16:9 aspect ratio (480p) and 1280 x 720 progressive in a 16:9 aspect ratio (720p), as well as standard 720 x 480 mini-DV interlaced video (480i). The new camcorder records the video as MPEG-2 onto new, special mini-DV tapes, it is described.

The camcorder uses a 1 1/3" megapixel CCD, and includes a special high definition lens as well as optical image stabilization. The lens has both zoom and focus rings, but apparently no markings are available, as it is a fully automatic lens, like the Sony VX2000 and many others.

The camcorder has a hand grip that rotates, allowing the body of the camcorder to be positioned for low- and high-angle shots easily; however the camcorder itself is a standard horizontal format, similar in shape and size to the Sony VX2000 or the Canon GL2.

The camcorder can transfer the digital video to a computer, although it was not specified if this was done through a standard FireWire port. The camcorder does have an SD card slot, often used for digital stills and Web movies.

Reports cite the manufacturer as saying the camcorder will be available next year, for 200,000 - 300,000 yen or approximately $1,623.38 to $2,435.06 dollars.
Old October 16th, 2002, 01:16 PM   #146
Wrangler

What's the downside?

Yeah, I focused in on that MPEG-2 compression too. You have got to ask how are they producing HD? In order to make use of MPEG-2 you really need VBR (Variable Bit Rate). One has to wonder how high do they have the VBR on this machine cranked?

If JVC has pulled this off close to perfect, then they might have the machine to beat and it ought to kill everything out there.

However, if its only a 'vaporcam' (a cam that does not really exist) then who cares what the price may be?

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 03:31 PM   #147
Wrangler

News posts from 2003Q1

Here comes the fourth Instant Films, special Halloween edition!

Instant Films presents the latest cycle of the 48-hour filmmaking project. 8 writers are given randomly selected words on Friday night; on Saturday morning they turn in their completed 5-8 page scripts; 8 directors pick a script and their cast out of a hat and then have 36 hours to complete their films!

Come see the results at the screening this Sunday the 20th at the LA Center Studios--for more information and to check out the great films from previous festivals, go to www.instantfilms.com.

If you are a DV filmmaker in the LA area, I strongly recommend checking it out. It's an exciting evening, partly because of the adrenaline-fueled almost-live-TV nature of the festival, also because we are always looking for new talent to participate in future festivals.
Old October 16th, 2002, 04:06 PM   #148
Major Player

Bill,

"Nice review of XpressDV 3.5 in this months dDV magazine by Frank Capria."

Not that Frank Capria is wrong. He might very well be right - but DV Magazine always acompany their reviews with a full page ad of the product they are reviewing. Come to think of it; I don't think I've ever seen a bad review in that magazine. And never a review of a product that did not sponsor the magazine. I think DV Mag is a little bit too fishy for my taste...

Sponsors are great if the relationship is honest. This forum is a great example.

;)
Old October 17th, 2002, 08:23 AM   #149
RED Code Chef

Can't wait to see the results Charlers.... as always keep up
the nice work! Truly a nice concept!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 06:38 PM   #150
Warden

QuickTime 6.0.2 AVAILABLE

Mac users can do the install over the net here

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

The standalone installer is here

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone/

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News