News posts from 2002 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 19th, 2002, 07:48 AM   #76
Regular Crew

From the FAQ page at Pioneer:

Q. Will the update work if I have a Pioneer DVD drive connected to a Macintosh using a Firewire connection?

A. No it will not work. You will need to connect the external Pioneer DVD drive to a Windows PC or contact the manufacturer to make arrangements for an update.
_Go to Top

If this reads like I think it does, it means Mac people will have a tough time making this upgrade. Also, the Mac link page is still under construction.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 05:49 PM   #77
Warden

Pioneer has advised that they are working with Apple on this update and it should be ready in about 2 weeks. If you have a FireWire DVD drive you may have a project on your hands. It would mean dissasembling the FireWire enclosure and installing it internally and upgrading that way. Someone will eventually make a stand alone installer but that may be months away. Or just don't use any 4X DVD's.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 07:30 PM   #78
Wrangler

It still may be too new.

Probably the technology is still too new. Someone is going to have to show that it delivers a superior image, it has to offer equivalent or better reliability, at competitive prices.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 07:57 PM   #79

OTOH....the update will work if you plug your firewire drive in to a windows machine. Just go find a PC with a firewire port.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 11:24 PM   #80
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Indeed, the Foveon technology sure looks drool-worthy. My understanding from the financial community is that the barrier to acceptance and licensing right now is, as Jeff indicated, cost. With the sweet-spot for high-volume consumer digital still cameras hovering between $300-500 Foveon will not find a home there for quite some time. Similarly, with the sweet-spot for consumer-grade video cameras being <=$1,000 the reengineering costs would be hard to recover. U.S. consumer debt and spending are at rediculous historical levels and spending is starting to slow dramatically as the economy continues to languish...likely for at least 18-24 more months. So this is just an unfortunate time for Foveon to come forth.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 11:41 PM   #81

New Wiebetech FW Drives

Wiebetech has recently introduced a 120Gb 7200rpm -bus-powered- Firewire drive called the "Super DesktopGB". That is, the drive is powered by a 6-pin 1394 connection from a Mac or a PC adapter featuring powered pass-through.

The drive has an aggressive introductory price of $299.95 until Sept 21 and $329.95 thereafter. (Smaller capacity drives of the same model are also available.)

I have a Wiebetech MicroGB drive (and also just ordered a Super DesktopGB) and can say that these folks make high-quality equipment. If you're looking for high-performance external storage (and who around here isn't?) you should take a look at Wiebetech. (weibetech.com) While you're there, take a look at their Firewire RAID systems...interesting.

And, no, I am not an investor in, or promoter for, the company <g>.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old September 20th, 2002, 05:44 AM   #82
Major Player

Contributed Stock DV

This was discussed for awhile on another thread, and now it has happened. Inevitable, I guess.

--DVfootage.com Launches as Stock Footage Portal
"The launch of DVfootage.com, in September 2002, makes available
digital asset management and e-commerce solutions to a wider
audience, enabling independent stock footage suppliers to place
digitized media for sale online."
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 07:32 AM   #83
Wrangler

There was a patch...

Apple stopped one of its vendors from giving away a patch (with the sale of the drive) that allowed you to connect an external drive to iDVD(?), an Apple product.

The story I read suggested that the vendor has a good relationship with Apple, so if Apple plans to release one, maybe it won't take too long.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 08:39 PM   #84
Regular Crew

IBM Ultrastar 146 gb 10K rpm drive

IBM has also recently released the new Ultrastar 146 gig 10K drive now available.

IBM Part Number: 08K0322

Model Number: 146Z10

Does anyone know of any issues with the Ultrastar line. I just lost 60 gigs of data from 1 of 2 drives due to a sudden crash that was found to be a mechanical failure. This is the danger of using striping RAID 0. If only ONE goes out, you're screwed. Data recovery started at $8,000-$20,000. I guess I'll have to do without that for a while! Luckilly, the drive is still under warranty but that won't get my data back! I will be backing up with DVD in the near future.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 11:13 PM   #85

James,
No, I do not have first-hand experience with these drives. We should note for clarity, however, that the Ultrastar drives require a Ultra320 SCSI interface for top performance (and are also compatible with an Ultra160 SCSI interface).

Old September 24th, 2002, 12:55 PM   #86

Pioneer has uncovered a bug

Pioneer has uncovered a bug and posted a fix. The DVR-A03 and some early DVR-A04 drives will lock up when 4x media is put in them. A drive left locked up for over 5 minutes can damage the media and the drive. This firmware patch fixes this issue. It allows 4x media to work properly.

PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT MAKE THE DRIVE 4x. All specs remain unchanged. It is simply a compatibility fix.

Here is the official Pioneer press release: As the DVD Forum releases the specifications for new high-speed discs for DVD recording, Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. announces that many of its DVD-R/RW computer drives and DVD recorders will require a firmware update in order to avoid potential damage to the units and discs.

The update process is free and relatively simple, and it is extremely important for owners of these products to make sure it is completed prior to using any new high-speed discs for recording. The DVD Forum has established new standards for high-speed recordable discs (4X for DVD-R and 2X for DVD-RW). Various media manufacturers have begun production of these discs that will soon be available in the marketplace.

The source of the problem is a firmware “bug” in certain Pioneer DVD-R/RW recorders and drives, and not with the high-speed media itself. As a result, use of the new high-speed discs for recording on these particular Pioneer products may cause damage to both the loaded disc and to the drive/recorder. The following drives and recorders may be affected:

Pioneer DVR-A03, DVR-103, DVR-A04 & DVR-104 computer drives
Pioneer DVR-7000 DVD recorder and the Pioneer PRV-9000 Professional DVD recorder In addition to the above models, certain OEM computer systems containing Pioneer DVD-R/RW drives are affected.

Anyone who owns or uses any of the above-listed products should conduct the free firmware update immediately. Download from http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/pioneer.html
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2002, 01:17 PM   #87
Major Player

Yup, already applied it to my 104s.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2002, 10:00 PM   #88
Trustee

The Future is here- well in Tokyo anyway

I'm currently in Yurakacho in down town Tokyo at a shop called Bic P Kan or Bic camera for us non Japanese. I've just finished looking at the begining of the future - 2 DVD cameras - one from Panasonic and the other from Hitachi.

Both cameras use a 1.4M pix CCD and record native MPEG2 onto DVR/DVD RAM and DVD/RW Cost wise they run about USD$1200. I realise that native MPEG2 isn't anygood for broadcast work but it's just a glimpse at what is happening herre in Techno Central.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 08:29 AM   #89
Regular Crew

You have to wrong on that price. Maybe you need another zero
$12,000 Ok now that sounds more like it. I saw these cameras in the Sep Vidoegraphy mag. Well at least the Hitachi. I wonder how these cameras hold up while running or bumpy roads. Will they skip like a CD. Just kidding. I am sure the bid boys have a solid system, but it is somthing to think about.

Here is a link

http://www.hdal.com/products/products.ihtml?step=subcat&parent=51&subparent=69&sortedby=model
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 08:42 AM   #90
ChorizoSmells

Adrian,
I ought to head out the Bic Camera in Namba and play around with those cameras. Can't wait for the day when the XL-1 has a DVD drive built into it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News