Move over HD-DVD/BluRay, here comes HVD's (300GB). at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 4th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #1
Trustee

Move over HD-DVD/BluRay, here comes HVD's (300GB).

http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Article2881.phtml
^wow, just wow. the only barrier to entry is $120/disc and $15k for burner. yeah i know it's cost/GB, but still.

how many GB is uncompressed 1920x1080p? if they get upto 1.6TB, could that store 2 hours of 1920x1080p?
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, anything can happen with technology, but as I see it right now, HVD stands no chance against BluRay...one being the price of the media right now (sort of like VHS vs. Beta). However, I don't think it's geared towards the consumer market or if they have any intentions of selling it there at all -- if anything, it's a great solution for filmmakers who need [somewhat] affordable storage -- if the price for the burner wasn't so rediculously outrageous, I could see many HVX users going out and purchasing this...then again, I could be wrong. It'd be a great alternative to archiving and storing P2 data.

Ah, new tech always comes with a price.
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree with Zack, VHS won due to price not quality I think history will repeat itself with HD-DVD and Blu ray. I dont know how well HVD will play into households but I can see do wonders for archival needs.
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Fisher
I agree with Zack, VHS won due to price not quality
It also won out because of longer recording time per tape. I was working in a video store back in the early 80's and most everyone I sold a VCR to selected VHS for that reason.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Why would you WANT to pay $15000 and $120-$180?

I can't for the life of me imagine WHY ANYONE in their right mind would pay $15000 for a recorder for a 300 GB media that will cost $120-$180, when a HDD costs the same, records data faster and doesn't need the $15K recorder!

Not to mention, if you pay a bit more, you'll get 750 GB TODAY and easily that 1.6 TB long before any optical media get's that storage amount!

I believe in good tech, but that seems absurd and like a dead-end street for the poor suckers that buy into it! Luckily it's to people like Turner...
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Major Player

The media may be viable for long term storage, hard disks are dodgy magnetic technology. Also optical media has bit errors, hard disks can totally fail, so over the long term holographic media may be more viable.

(quote from page)
"essentially a jukebox-in-a-cartridge of ten stacked 9.4-GByte DVDs, for a total of 940 Gbytes."

Umm.
Marvin Emms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM   #7
Trustee

Like the article said, this will be a great successor to HD-DVD and BluRay come 2015. A decade of beta testing by cutting-edge enthusiasts will ensure that all the kinks in the format will be ironed out when the mass market is ready. Isn't it great that you can have a piece of the future today?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Successor in 2015 or dim memory?

I'm more inclined to believe this will prove to be a foggy memory in the dustbin of "almost something good" history by 2015.

By then, at the current rate of advances, "long term storage" will simply mean movng masses of data to whatever current storage has the best cost/benefit at the time and making sure you have it backed up to the same for security. Just like now. When storage solutions reach the inevitable "petabyte, exabyte, zettabyte, yottabyte, etc..." regions, we'll still only care how much it costs vs performance vs available space. It seems these optical technologies are still pushing the yester-tech of the 90's to

It seems at the rate nano-sized (think molecular size) storage discovery possibilities are happening, any relatively slow, chemical-based optical tech will die a natural death within 10 years. Time will certainly tell.
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM   #9
Inner Circle

It is an irony but an achilles heel of both chemical imaging technology and electronic imaging technology is at this time based in the same weakness, the questionable permanency of coloured dyes.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #10
Trustee

Actually, the replacement may come from Pioneer. Pioneer was working on UV LASER technology more than a year ago. I think it was more than a 20-25% improvement in space.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Armour
It seems at the rate nano-sized (think molecular size) storage discovery possibilities are happening, any relatively slow, chemical-based optical tech will die a natural death within 10 years. Time will certainly tell.
This certainly is were cutting-edge research into quantum dots (qubits) is heading. Although the time frame of consumer or even industrial equipment based on this research is unknown.

Greg, this seems like it escaped from Area 51. But since qdot research is real and healthy, I thought I could slip it in without being sent back to the secret lab. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News