Bad news for Hollywood, not so bad for indie makers - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 28th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #46
Regular Crew

The same things were said about music over the net. Many thought small bands would never profit when compared to the big guys. And they don't on that level. But they do profit. I think that's the future for a lot of video production. It will be made by small outfits making a small buy significant profit. We may not see the Beatles on the net but we could easily surpass some of the crap on the radio these days.

BTW I don't think tv over the net will kill Hollywood or the local DVD store. It will be another alternative for people looking for niche programming. And there are people looking for those travelling / religious programs. I know I watch lots of stuff that is out of the mainstream.
Jeff Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Talk about karma. Universal is offering free music downloads now! The site is advertiser supported.

Thar's gold in them thar hills! If they can make money giving away music then people can make money with video. People already do this with wedding videos etc.. I can see a whole new branch of video business models coming.
Jeff Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Free music downloads... advertiser supported....

Yeah, I remember "Album night" on the local FM station in the sixties and early seventies. They tell you in advance, what album they are going to play in its entirety, and you cue up the old cassette or reel to reel. OF course, you had to hear interminable ammounts of advertising to get to it.

So yeah, it's an old tried and true marketing technique. Just loading it onto your computer instead of your tapedeck... coming to you 'free' the same way radio does...

"There is nothing new, except what has been forgotten."
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News