DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Apple Unveils a 24-inch iMac (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/74938-apple-unveils-24-inch-imac.html)

Jeff Sayre September 6th, 2006 07:53 AM

Apple Unveils a 24-inch iMac

Today, Apple announced processor upgrades for its iMac-family of computers. Now, all new iMacs will come with a Intel Core 2 Duo processor offering what Apple claims to be up to 50% increase in performance compared to the previous 20-inch iMac.

The big surprise (sort of) was the introduction of a new 24-inch iMac model with Core 2 Duo processor up to 2.33GHz clock speed.

http://www.apple.com/imac/

Nate Schmidt September 6th, 2006 08:18 AM

Man that sucks ;) I bought a 20" core duo about 2 months ago for school which i started today.

Jeff Kilgroe September 6th, 2006 08:42 AM

Cool... That means the Core 2 Duo upgrades for the Macbook should be just around the corner! My wait is almost over. :)

Unfortunately, I just bought an iMac for a family member about 2 months ago and it would be so much better if I could have got them the 24" screen with the better CPU. Nate, I feel you're pain. Of course, when Apple dropped the price on Shake from $2K to $500 right after I bought two seats of it, that felt like I got kicked in the nu...

Grrr....

Ethan Cooper September 6th, 2006 09:53 AM

I just bought my wife a 17 inch i-Mac two weeks ago. Can't return it because we had the larger hard drive put in it and that somehow maked it unreturnable by apple standards. I could have had a 20 incher for about the same price and it's faster too. Oh well. Kinda got screwed on that one... but when it's compared to the guy who bought 2 seats of shake for 2 grand it's not as bad. I'd liken it to the difference between lubed and un-lubed.

Jeff Sayre September 6th, 2006 10:57 AM

Today, Apple also announced the update of both Mac Mini models to the Intel Core Duo (Yonah) processor as well.

Jeff Kilgroe September 6th, 2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper
I just bought my wife a 17 inch i-Mac two weeks ago. Can't return it because we had the larger hard drive put in it and that somehow maked it unreturnable by apple standards. I could have had a 20 incher for about the same price and it's faster too. Oh well. Kinda got screwed on that one... but when it's compared to the guy who bought 2 seats of shake for 2 grand it's not as bad. I'd liken it to the difference between lubed and un-lubed.

Yeah, the Shake thing hurt... I called Apple and begged and pleaded, yelled and screamed. And the salespeople all agreed I got screwed, but they claimed they couldn't do anything. The price drop only happened like 2 days after I received and installed the software. I finally did get a sales manager involved and he wouldn't do anything with the purchase directly, but he did give me a gift certificate to the Apple Store (works at a physical store or online) and that was an OK gesture, but it was nowhere near the amount I was looking for. I would've been happy even if they met me half-way on the deal, but I kinda felt like they just said here's a few $$$ and be gone.

...Keeping with the analogy above, it was all over with and then they said "Oh, BTW, here's some lube for ya".

I need a new notebook - badly. I'm trying to hold out for the Core 2 Duo to be put in the 15" MBP as I need 3 or 4 GB of RAM (need the 64bit capable CPU with the extended memory addressing). My 3D graphics work is fairly demanding and 2GB just doesn't quite do it a lot of the time. If I could put 4GB in a MBP, I'd be set... Here's hoping that the Core 2 Duo iMacs are a sign that this day is really close.

I still buy from Apple because overall I like their products and I buy enough systems and hardware from various other PC vendors (as well as build several systems myself) each year anyway. Without turning this post into a novella, I can say that I've been screwed by Dell, HP and several others too... You don't want to be around when I start bashing HP.

Boyd Ostroff September 6th, 2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe
Yeah, the Shake thing hurt... I called Apple and begged and pleaded, yelled and screamed. And the salespeople all agreed I got screwed, but they claimed they couldn't do anything.

That is frustrating. However, when you ordered Shake you obviously had decided that it was worth the cost. The new price is really neither here nor there in that case, you got exactly what you paid for. In a few months there will be even more new Macs, and they will be cheaper and faster. Same as it ever was.

And guys, lets not take that "analogy" any further or we'll need to do some editing....

Jeff Kilgroe September 6th, 2006 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
That is frustrating. However, when you ordered Shake you obviously had decided that it was worth the cost. The new price is really neither here nor there in that case, you got exactly what you paid for. In a few months there will be even more new Macs, and they will be cheaper and faster. Same as it ever was.

True... It's not like I didn't make money with the software. I think where I was a little frustrated was Apple's lack of compassion regarding the matter. Most other software companies will usually guaranty prices for a couple weeks - some even as much as 30 days or so. I deal with expensive software all the time (XSI, Fusion, etc..). SoftImage provides a 45 day price guaranty on their software. Would be nice if Apple did the same... I was one of several people that had this happen to them - just look through the Shake forums on the net. There was quite a huge uproar over it. Apple dropped the price from $2499 to $1999 and tons of people jumped on the deal to buy. And then about 2 weeks later (most likely to combat Eyeon's new Fusion pricing and offerings) Apple slashed Shake price from $1999 to $499. Lots of ticked off people.

Anyway... I think I've crapped in this thread enough. Let's get back on topic. ...The 24" iMac. Looks pretty cool. Too bad Apple didn't put a DVI-HDCP input on the back of the thing so it could also be used as a monitor for another computer. That would be pretty slick to mount that sucker on an Ergotron arm and have it be an Intel Mac plus a second display for my G5 quad. Hope they hurry up with the Core 2 Duo MBPs...

Quote:

And guys, lets not take that "analogy" any further or we'll need to do some editing....
Sorry about that... ;-) I'll leave it alone now.

Paulo Teixeira September 6th, 2006 04:05 PM

1920X1200 LCD screen. Finally full HD on an IMAC.
Upgradeable to 3 gigs of RAM, a 500 gig hard drive and finally a 256MB Video card. Apple definitely went all out with this machine.

I hope this is an indication that Apple will also put a 1920X1200 screen on the next MacBook-Pro as well as 3 gigs of Ram. I would be in heaven if they did that. Well, just as long as I don’t peek at the price.

Boyd Ostroff September 6th, 2006 07:26 PM

There have been 1920x1200 powerbook rumors for over a year. Evidently some Powerbook G4 owners received a printed manual which made reference to that resolution on some models. So I'm sure that's coming.

Regarding software updates, Apple has never (to my knowledge) refunded money when lowering prices. The only thing even close to that is the "up to date" program where if you buy the current version of something after a new one has been announced but not yet shipping, you can upgrade to the new version when it comes out for a nominal media charge. Yeah, it would be nice - I've bought a variety of Apple products myself just before something new/better/cheaper was announced. But to expect "compassion" is probably not realistic based on previous experience....

Wayne Morellini September 7th, 2006 04:26 AM

More than a year, they were rumoured to release portables with true 1080 at the beginning of last year.

I wonder why they don't release an entertainment centre MAC of 40inch and above, 30 inch would be good for a desktop for some people. I have just relocated a 8Mp 56inch LCD that uses some of the most advanced LCD technology available. Now that would be a great Entertainment PC, as well as a viewing monitor for Red camera footage. They have 4Mpixel in 30inch as well.

http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/pr...20051012111324

http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/pr...td.jsp?size=30

I figured out a mounting case design for an attachable, and replaceable, Mac computer for the back of large Flat Panel. But one of the manufacturers has just done this with a attachable PC unit around the size of a mini mac.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09...in_3d_display/

If Apple could raise it's game, they could do the Ipod of TV's.

Wes Vasher September 7th, 2006 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe
True... It's not like I didn't make money with the software. I think where I was a little frustrated was Apple's lack of compassion regarding the matter.

I feel your pain. I have had many great dealings with Apple but also have felt their corporationiness a few times as well. I would suggest taking your case directly to the top. It has worked before.

sjobs@apple.com

Sharyn Ferrick September 7th, 2006 09:53 AM

Hey Jeff

Don't just email Jobs, send a certified return receipt requested letter, outline exactly the situation, and how competition handles it. It will get handled by an admin and you would be surprised what can be done, squeaky wheel gets taken careof, the trick is not to give up and to escalate.

Sharyn

Lisa Shofner September 7th, 2006 11:40 AM

Student Pricing

Anyone know if Apple or any Apple stores offer student discounts on hardware, looking at getting that new iMac but after my additions it came to about $2800.

I couldn't find any info on the Apple site about student discounts, but it seems like they should offer them.

[edit]

I did find discount for one school in Vegas - but nothing just for any college student? Or is that just through the apple site - would an Apple store or some other online site possibly have something?

Boyd Ostroff September 7th, 2006 12:38 PM

I think the best approach is to contact your school to see if Apple has a program. Otherwise, visit Apple's education site here:

http://www.apple.com/education/