DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Red: industry moving to 4K. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/75308-red-industry-moving-4k.html)

Wayne Morellini September 12th, 2006 04:14 AM

Red: industry moving to 4K.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34288

Nick Hiltgen September 15th, 2006 11:38 AM

I don't use the term half assed that often when describing articles, but this "report" seemed really half assed. Hey look here's a handy little graphic, oh what's 4k, sounds impressive. Oh and hey who's saying that the industry is moving to 4k, why it's the people developing the 4k camera.

I find it really discouraging that 1080p has barely been adopted and is already being passed up. I'll go ahead and push it further. I think that 4k will be dropped very soon for 8k. There now red's oboslete too.

Note this isn't a comment against wayne, this is a comment against "the inquirer"

Emre Safak September 15th, 2006 11:42 AM

I have not read the article, but I see no dilemma between 4K and 2K. Use the former as a master for the latter.

Wes Vasher September 15th, 2006 12:07 PM

Man... and all I wanted was 720p... anyone remember 720p? Anyone?

Crickets.

My blog entries about as bad as that... maybe they'll hire me as a writer.

Don Donatello September 15th, 2006 12:24 PM

1080i has been around years .. 1080p several ...
35mm is the format everything is compared against... 1080p isn't 35mm ..which will take us up little to 2k ..then 4k .. time will tell if 4k will match/exceed 35mm ...

IMO 1080p will be the choice for HDTV sets/monitors - which will have many years of use down the road ...

Tim Brown September 15th, 2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Donatello
IMO 1080p will be the choice for HDTV sets/monitors - which will have many years of use down the road ...

Only time will tell. I believe the final decision will be made when the consumer finds a comfortable performance/price point where they see a clear benefit and value for their dollar.

I doubt that the corporate marketers will ever stop the development of high-def or whatever that succeeds it because if they didn't have anything to sell, they wouldn't exist. Even after resolution surpasses that of 35mm.

Nick Jushchyshyn September 15th, 2006 12:35 PM

Is it really going to be 50MB per frame like this article says ?!?!? That sounds really inflated, even for 4k RAW.

The rate at which Red reservations are being sold (on such limited track record) is plenty proof that the industry WANTS 4k. Heck, we'd ALL love to go to 4k if we could easily afford the gear to acquire and handle the pipeline. That sounds fair.

It's just that it will take quite a long time before 4k becomes "standard". Even most 35mm film DIs are scanned at 2k. That's sure to change as technology and pricing improves though.

Wayne Morellini September 15th, 2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
I don't use the term half assed that often when describing articles, but this "report" seemed really half assed. Hey look here's a handy little graphic, oh what's 4k, sounds impressive. Oh and hey who's saying that the industry is moving to 4k, why it's the people developing the 4k camera.

I find it really discouraging that 1080p has barely been adopted and is already being passed up. I'll go ahead and push it further. I think that 4k will be dropped very soon for 8k. There now red's oboslete too.

Note this isn't a comment against wayne, this is a comment against "the inquirer"

Thanks, I posted the article, because it was really just interesting that even a computer (technology too) site like enquirer picked up on the Red, and that they were at IBC doing stories. The publicity/article reaction was more the news then the information it was based on.

The answer is yes, on one level 4K is desirable, to the high end. People do not see the use of it, but eventually when we start sitting in front of a 4-6 foot high screen we will. Reviewers will need to catch onto this. 1080p will start to look less defined. Sony has SHD projection technology, and I suspect that 8MP blue ray is coming.

George Ellis September 16th, 2006 12:34 PM

Sigh... I have been linking Fuad to articles here. It was in hope that the computer guys would get to see some other technology. Nope, Fuad is not a digital video guy. He does do video systems and keeps up with the bleeding edge of the news on video cards and displays. Since HDV is a hot topic on such systems, I was at least pointing to articles on systems for acquiring it. He went to IBC, which is definitely coverage for us.

If you have issues, let Fuad know. He reports the news and is very open to correction. Shoot, I would bet he could use a special reports person for occasional articles.

Yi Fong Yu September 16th, 2006 05:31 PM

inquirer is a tabloid newsite for the computer industry =). it knows very little about DV editing industry. this is also the same site that yaps about reverse hyper-threading and lochness monster-type news of the computer industry ;). sometimes they hit it... most of the times they don't. rumours power their ad dollars... but hey... they make a living ;).

George Ellis September 16th, 2006 07:35 PM

I give them more credit than tabloid. They do report the strange as does The Registry. One thing they do well is report news early. If it is wrong, they will confess. But, they refuse to sign NDAs so that they can report leaked info. I read them every day and know that it will not all pan out, but some of the hot tips are really hot.

Yi Fong Yu September 16th, 2006 08:43 PM

both the register and inquirer mirror the star and national enquirer ;) but for the geek industry. it's a dirty job... but someone's gotta' do it.

Wayne Morellini September 16th, 2006 11:46 PM

I think the real point is, that people outside the industry are noticing at all.