DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   New display coming late 07 using "Lasers" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/77320-new-display-coming-late-07-using-lasers.html)

George Ellis October 12th, 2006 05:50 AM

New display coming late 07 using "Lasers"

Read the summary at The Inq and follow the link for the rest of it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35020

In short, cheaper, uses less energy, and much bigger gamut than plasma.

Edit - I found a better article out of a link at Anandtech

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6216/52/

Jeff Kilgroe October 13th, 2006 01:16 AM

This is old news. Mitsubishi already demonstrated a prototype of their 46" laser TV months ago. It shows a lot of promise, but still had a lot of bugs to work out. They were saying a late '07 release is still likely a few months back, we'll see... Samsung took an intermediate step with their LED DLP and plans to upgrade the light source to RGB laser system sometime in the next two years.

What the articles don't mention is that these first round of laser TVs are DLP based. But they have no spinning color wheel and won't exhibit the dreaded RBE (RainBow Effect). But apparently laser sparkle is still a problem that Arasor and Mitsubishi are struggling with. Flat-panel laser displays are also a possibility and one potential concept uses an ultra-fast changing LCD panel with a cycling color laser system rather than a conventional backlight. Another uses a DLP or LCOS style reflector system, but instead of mirrored projection, it would transmit via fiber optics with the ends of the fiber strands translating into pixels.... Interesting.

IMO, I think the laser display will ultimately find its home in the DLP and LCOS projection arena. Faster LCOS chips with an RGB laser system could be more economical and consume a lot less power than a white light halogen lamp system with three LCOS chips (the current implementation). DLP systems could benefit the same way as a colored laser system can eliminate spinning color wheels and additional moving parts thus also making it more economical to transition to full resolution DLP instead of the current "wobulated" models of DMD chips used in most consumer displays.

Wayne Morellini October 13th, 2006 02:16 AM

There are a number of different alternative laser display systems that have been announced in the recent year.

People would not believe me when I told them just how much an advantage you can get which using lasers for a TV. My own design concepts would rely on nothing like DLP, if I had the money to develop them. I probably have drawn up upto 100 design concepts over the years, of simple enough laser display systems (for low cost development). Most are not the best for HDTV like display (mostly good for vector drawing) but a handful are.

Ideally, you could do a 80inch 8mp display retail for much less than $1K. So, there is great potential out there for even less than 40 inch displays as well. Printable OLED/OEL displays are the biggest competition factor to projected displays. There is even transparent OLED displays that I could use on my transparent handheld design (I'm not joshing). The potential in this market is still great from the consumer side.

Jeff Kilgroe October 13th, 2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
There are a number of different alternative laser display systems that have been announced in the recent year.

Yeah, but as you obviously know, there's a big difference between what gets announced and what consumers will actually be able to buy. Most of what I was mentioning are products that are essentially confirmed for consumer release. The DLP implementations are obvious as there's little to change to current designs and manufacturers are eager to ditch the spinning color wheels. Even budget TV makers like AKAI are supposedly showing prototype laser based DLPs.

Like you I have my own thoughts and designs, but never the time/ambition/money to really pursue them. Oh, well... So much to do, so little time.

Wayne Morellini October 16th, 2006 04:54 AM

..Little money.

Yes, this is another that is not delivered yet. Unfortunately it was too late to get in on any IPO.

If it works, it is out there, it is upto the manufacturers to pick it up.

Design is 90% of the functionality, and as long as industry wastes their money on paying dunder heads to refine less efficient designs, we don't have much hope of getting ours out. I know some pretty smart people (and I'm talking top) and I'm coming to the realisation that the practical creative+refinement skills don't look so common. I think the problem is that a lot of people in industry might like to think they have it, and I wish a few more did.

Joe Carney October 16th, 2006 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
..Little money.

Yes, this is another that is not delivered yet. Unfortunately it was too late to get in on any IPO.

If it works, it is out there, it is upto the manufacturers to pick it up.

Design is 90% of the functionality, and as long as industry wastes their money on paying dunder heads to refine less efficient designs, we don't have much hope of getting ours out. I know some pretty smart people (and I'm talking top) and I'm coming to the realisation that the practical creative+refinement skills don't look so common. I think the problem is that a lot of people in industry might like to think they have it, and I wish a few more did.

Plus there is always some patent terrorist just waiting for someone to do the hard work then sue them.

Greg Harris October 18th, 2006 07:42 PM

how much would this be when it comes out for lets say a 40 inch? Also will they work with the Blue-Ray players.

Thanks

Wayne Morellini October 20th, 2006 07:06 AM

They plan on undercutting the above 40 inch market, by half. I expect, they still want to make a high margin, so they don't want to compete below 40 inches, which is heading towards $1K territory. The printable displays might reduce margins a lot in the sub 40 market.