Apple TV! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 10th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Nope, there's no ability to 'burn to DVD' any movie you purchase on iTunes.

This is why I don't buy movies on iTunes. :)

If the Apple TV had at least a S-Video port on it and a MUCH larger hard drive than only 40GB, I'd buy one.
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #17
Major Player

well.... for the cost of 10 blank blueray disks.... you could get one of these.... and for trade show presentations it would me the perfect mobile output of 720p content! whether it be video h264 or even a flash presentation with video embeded and allows the viewer to nav with a mouse! I want one!

and personally.... I don't see any pecture quality difference between hdmi or component hd content to my 720p projector to a 120" screen. so I coose component for it'd easily switchable thru my reciever.

So .... now some vender needs to come out with a nice 6.1 amp that mates well ( size/looks ) with the appletv....

did I say I want one?

I'm sure 720p content it right around the corner with itunes store.

now... we have the content and the box.... all we need is a faster pipe! where the faheck is wimax?
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #18
Major Player

So will "apple TV" totally just crush the Blue Ray / HD DVD market? Like what's the point when you can store HD movies on this thing and put it out on your TV? How soon do you think until they get a 80gig that puts out 1080p? I want this but I may wait for a 2nd generation!!!
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #19
Major Player

One thing that scares me from the blu and hddvd is the write time.... hours.... I'd rather bill the client once for one of these... then move externals back and forth with the content.

It'd be sweet if apple makes a "pro" version with fiber in/out for xraid networking.... also... icing on the cake ( or would it be caramel on the apple ) would be component in!

just think....

hdv ( or even RED ) component out >> appletv >> xraid = rolling analog capture.

not likely, but worth dreaming about.
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I think that Apple needs to sell a more beefier box for the professionals like us. Throw in a 250GB+ hard drive and 1080p output and price it for around $500 and BOOM! they just put the final nail in the HD-DVD / Bluray war.

If the Apple TV unit takes off like I think it will, we'll definitely see a beefier box around the corner.
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Please excuse my ignorance

Can't I do the same thing already with a mac mini?
I mean for a couple hundred bucks more my wife can view her MySpace page on our HDTV.
Lorne Mathre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #22
MPS Digital Studios

Not entirely, but sort of via Front Row. Apple had to do this because Microsoft has their software, and Sony I believe announced hardware.

heath
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #23
Wrangler

Also released yesterday is the new Airport Extreme from Apple. It has 802.11n as does the AppleTV. So, if you buy the new wireless base station and attach it to your Mac via ethernet, the wireless pipe gets much bigger, like 540mbs. So to answer the earlier poster, the bigger wireless pipe is here.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #24
Major Player

This thing is definitely exciting!

I'm just going to hold out until 720P is a given, once it is... I'm in! I also agree with the HDMI/Component comparison, Component will do me just fine for now.

I'll probably buy the 2nd generation with the assumed bigger HD as well. I could always retire this one to the bedroom once that happens. :)

Mike
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Also released yesterday is the new Airport Extreme from Apple. It has 802.11n
That's interesting. The 802.11n they're including in this item is a draft of the standard. 802.11n won't be ratified until 2008 at the earliest. Here's a good reference:http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/news/...kit-slips-2008
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #26
Major Player

yes... in the local network the pipe is fast enough.... I use gig-e here.... it's the pipe to and fro the rest of the world that's lag'n.

wimax is sposed to be 30 mile radius at 400Mb sec..... but other than seattle and sf it's nowhere.
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #27
Major Player

It looks awesome! I imagine as people have said, that the hat will drop on HD 720P downloadable movies in the near future.

On a side note, there was no iLife update as per usual since the Mac was not part of this Keynote. Wonder when Apple will begin to unvail their computer news.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #28
Trustee

It almost seems as though Apple Inc, is thinking of taking everything "mainstream" and their Mac computers might take a backseat to general "consumer" products such as their iPods and iPhones- I bet a gaming console is in their future as well as LCD TV's etc.

I just hope they don't forget about their computing roots!
The PC market is blazing with constant speed improvements- I hope Apple keeps pace with new Mac intros.
(A portable handheld pocketMac might be a fresh idea)
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
It almost seems as though Apple Inc, is thinking of taking everything "mainstream" and their Mac computers might take a backseat to general "consumer" products such as their iPods and iPhones- I bet a gaming console is in their future as well as LCD TV's etc.

I just hope they don't forget about their computing roots!
The PC market is blazing with constant speed improvements- I hope Apple keeps pace with new Mac intros.
(A portable handheld pocketMac might be a fresh idea)
I doubt the gaming market will be on Apple's mindset. During the Keynote, Jobs even stated that the market was actually rather small.

I have no doubt that Apple will not neglect the computer side. Many industries use Apple's and it is still a huge part of their business. Of course, expansion is on Jobs' mind.

EDIT: Remember, Leopard is supposed to be out in early spring. That Keynote presentation should be in the near future. I hope a Final Cut Studio update is with it.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I was hoping they would announce that they had a new Power Mac using the Intel E5300-series chipsets: 4 cores per processor + 2 processors = 8 cores.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News