On The Lot: New TV show coming to fox! Still taking admissions to be on the show! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Major Player

On The Lot: New TV show coming to fox! Still taking admissions to be on the show!

This sounds incredible. I would love to enter in this, but I do not have the time right now to make a film. Here is the link to the site! http://www.thelot.com/

"ON THE LOT
On the Lot is the groundbreaking new show brought to you by reality show mastermind, Mark Burnett, and legendary producer and director, Steven Spielberg. Over the season, the 16 filmmakers will produce short films in every genre every week and the viewers will vote on who gets eliminated. The winning filmmaker will take home a $1 Million development deal!"

I hope someone here on DVinfo.net could enter in this!
~Gabriel
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Now this is Reality TV I can get behind. Looking forward to it.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

I finally broke down and submitted, though I need to re-do it; I didn't realize you now needed an intro. So I'm doing that this weekend.

heath
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'll be glad to star in anyone's film, although I will need to split the winnings 70/30 my way.

Seriously though, Heath I hope you or someone from the board does well, wins it. I immediately thought about you guys.

I do a mean Elvis though, if anyone is interested.
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks, man. Elvis, eh? I'll tell my frequent co-writer. He once did a short with Elvis!

heath
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Awesome! Its great to hear that people here are interested. As much as I would like to enter, I cant. I am very bummed about that. But hey, if it makes it, I'll enter next time. :D

Waiting to hear more,
~Gabriel
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The one bummer I see is that you do all the work to make those short films, and guess who owns the rights to them... I haven't looked at the contracts, but I would guess that the Fox lawyers haven't left many crumbs on the table.
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Trustee

isn't youtube.com commanding just as many viewers as Fox?
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Major Player

This is true, but at the same time, you are getting a chance to meet Steven Spielberg, and a $1 million contract with dreamworks. Thats, what I think makes it worth while. Plus the experience of getting behind real equipment and being with real actors. Now that, sounds like a great offer!

~Gabriel
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Fox doesn't own the rights like you think. Go to www.thelot.com to learn more. Sci Fi's contest was a little more hard core.

The difference between YouTube and On The Lot is that YouTube isn't offering a potential $1 million first-look deal with DreamWorks.

heath
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #11
Major Player

Not yet anyway... I am sure Google will come up
with a $10,000,000 contest deal soon enough....
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #12
Trustee

Google does have a TV channel called Current TV that consists mostly of “Viewer Created Content” All you do is post your work on this website and if a lot of people likes it, its gets on TV. You do get paid if it’s on the air. A lot of the programs that gets on the air even comes from High School and College students.

That would be something indeed if Google were to offer 10 million dollars for the best program. That much money is nothing to them but I don’t think they would ever go that high.

I could go on and on about what they offer but its best to go on their website and check it out. http://www.current.tv/
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #13
Major Player

I'd love to at least try to enter this but I've got my college courses to think about. Plus, I'm waiting to see how the first (and hopefully not last) season goes before I try for it. My biggest fear is that it will get turned into a "Project Greenlight" and only focus on the negative drama that ensues.

Also, I'd just plain like to see how the show affects the people on it, from what I understand, you have to come up with something to film in a different genre for each episode or two? That's pretty hardcore for me at the moment as far as the maturity of my creative process goes =).
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #14
Trustee

This looks like fun. It's nice to see times like these when anyone with grocery store budget gets a chance at public awareness, opinion, and exposure. So, even if you don't win the grand prize, you have to assume that folks of influence in this industry will at least see your work... lot's of possibilities here.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #15
Trustee

yeah the "meet" with spielberg is probably a 30min-1hour lunch from which he leaves and goes off directing his next feature or 'produce' somn. $1mil is given only if you give up control of the final cut. i'm always skeptical of things like this because it's a sign of desperation from hollywood.

armed with HDV+distribution places like youtube or even your own website. why not go direct. it takes just as much effort, time, $ as it does regular studios, but at the end you will own your own content (if you hook up with the right lawyers). i think hollywood is afraid of the next big hit coming out of online places that will bypass the huge chain of middlemen that hold the $. when that day comes, moviemaking will be even more even bigger. that's why they are casting their net very very far.

ah well, what do i know. just another joe's opinion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News