DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   NAB 2003 Wrap? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/8656-nab-2003-wrap.html)

Ken Tanaka April 15th, 2003 01:18 AM

NAB 2003 Wrap?

From what I've gathered from press and reports here, NAB 2003 seems like it was a bit of a dud on the new products front. I didn't see anyone run home naked with their hair on fire. (Well, Steve Mullen's might have been a bit singed. <g>) But I get the impression that some manufacturers are teasing with prototypes and strategy statements but, in fact, they're really biding their time through choppy economic futures.

Is that an accurate observation?

Glenn Gipson April 15th, 2003 05:29 AM

Maybe...

I think you may be right. I was very disappointed with Sony and Canon for not coming out with new sub 5k progressive cams. But, I know they will have new ones next year though, and that’s fine by me, especially since I don’t shoot till then...

Chris Hurd April 15th, 2003 06:56 AM

Sony's one thing, but Canon doesn't rev their high-end product very often. The XL1S is "only" 22 months old; consider that the original XL1 went for 40 months before replacement. The GL2 is even younger. I'll be surprised if Canon has anything new in the 3CCD range prior to NAB next year.

Glenn Gipson April 15th, 2003 08:39 AM

That would be very bad for Canon. I hear what you’re saying Chris, but the only thing is, the times are different now. Panasonic has really turned up the heat on Sony and Canon, even though they don’t want to admit it, and so their new product cycles can’t just mimic the “old days” anymore. The DVX100 is gaining more and more momentum, and wont be able to be ignored by Sony and Canon for very much longer.

Glenn Gipson April 15th, 2003 08:51 AM

Also, I should add that if Sony and Canon wait too long to release their new 1/3” cameras, then it will allow Panasonic to develop a new DVX100 just in time to oust the new Sony and Canon offerings, and recoup a large profit from the old DVX100. Don't get too arrogant and out of touch with reality, Sony and Canon ;-)

Don Parrish May 12th, 2003 09:20 AM

With money to burn freely anyone can have the panasonic. But those who have to purchase their equipment strategically are going to wait. I personally would love to have 24p but the package is not yet complete. I need 24p, 60i, and HD, and I need it in a package less consumer looking. The problem for me is purchasing a camera that I will be able to use for years to come. If I don't wait for High def, I will only purchase something similar with a nice feature. If Canon's predicessor to the XL1S continues with it's shoulder mounted design it will be a winner. I will find the money as long as they incorporate 24p and HD . I have always been a realist in that I don't bow to looks over ability (except with Hooters girls), however, people ( law enforcement, the public etc.) will validate a videographers importance by looks. If it's shoulder mounted, you will get many perks and much respect from everyone, which means interviews and shots you wouldn't otherwise have been given. That one single feature pays a huge dividend in dealing with people. Canon knows this and will certainly make it's next beast shoulder mounted, others have not yet learned . A 9 month wait may be good for the technology to pan out, Canons leap in still sensor technology will show up in video!!

Dylan Couper May 12th, 2003 04:17 PM

I'd also like a shoulder mount camera, more for ergonomic reasons than looks. I'm about 90% sure my next camera will be a shoulder mount. Hopefully it will say Canon on it.

Ken Tanaka May 12th, 2003 04:26 PM

Don & Dylan,
I agree that a more ergonomic, better balanced shoulder-mountable camera would seem best. But it sure looks to me like the industrial design direction is towards the lightweight (i.e. wiggly, jiggly) handheld consumer camera design. I think the mass market has no interest in BIG; they want small and handy.

Don Parrish May 13th, 2003 07:23 AM

I think canon has consumers covered with the GL2 and ZR series. I have to ask what made the first XL1 so popular, what market does it fit into. The XL1S is a prosumer product, I would expect it's replacement to be also. What consumer will pay 4k for a camcorder? What pro freelancer wants a jiggly wiggly? The XL2 (or whatever it's name will be) will have to be aimed at the same market or there would be no reason for it's developement.

Dylan Couper May 13th, 2003 09:11 AM

If Canon made the XL2 a shouldermount, or introduced a larger 1/2" chip shouldermount camera, would JVC, Sony and Panny stop allowing their 1/2" chip cameras to be sold with Canon lenses since Canon is directly competing in that market? Just wondering if that is a reason Canon has not gotten into the next market up from the Pro-sumer division.