DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Canon TX1 First Review (in Japanese) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/88368-canon-tx1-first-review-japanese.html)

Peter Solmssen March 7th, 2007 03:39 AM

Canon TX1 First Review (in Japanese)

The Japanese reviewer whose name translates as "small temple trust well" has posted his review of the Canon TX1:
http://translate.google.com/translat...006-17,GGGL:en
The review includes sample clips. The outdoor clips look quite good on my HDTV -- sort of clean, much like those from the Canon HD10. The indoor clip is very noisy; it doesn't say at what ISO it was shot. Let's hope that it was 1600.

The commentary in the review is extensive, but in translation is largely incomprehensible. Anyone read Japanese?

Hse Kha March 7th, 2007 06:59 AM

Thanks for the link. This is great. I am downloading some clips now. Look forward to seeing them.

Solomon Chase March 7th, 2007 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That is excellent video quality for the price :) The colors are good, compression looks pretty decent as well (for MJPEG)

Look at what happens when you run the Noisy High ISO indoor footage through color correction and video noise removal.

Color corrected JPG Attached.

Peter Solmssen March 7th, 2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solomon Chase (Post 637709)
Look at what happens when you run the Noisy High ISO indoor footage through color correction and video noise removal.

Did you correct the video or the still? If it was the video, what program did you use?

Hse Kha March 7th, 2007 02:13 PM

The footage is good, but not in the class of the HV10/XL H1. I was expecting more. Also the highlights seem blown out or is it just me?

But still, way better than anything I have seen from the Sanyo HD1!

Definately a steal for $400-500. And the size! Wow! Another nice one Mr Canon...

Solomon Chase March 7th, 2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hse Kha (Post 637761)
The footage is good, but not in the class of the HV10/XL H1. I was expecting more. Also the highlights seem blown out or is it just me?

But still, way better than anything I have seen from the Sanyo HD1!

Definately a steal for $400-500. And the size! Wow! Another nice one Mr Canon...

Yeah, I did notice some highlight clipping. The rest of the picture looks good though.

Peter, I use NeatVideo. Also noiseNinja in photoshop.

Solomon Chase March 7th, 2007 03:26 PM

I just used After Effect's built in "remove grain" tool and it looks even better than the the first image I posted. Pretty cool (but slow to render!)

Peter Solmssen March 7th, 2007 06:01 PM

Does anyone know of a way to determine the ISO of a video clip, like EXIF of stills? I really would like to know whether the indoor clip was that bad at, say 400, or 1600. There also seems to be a suggestion in the text that in video the settings are always automatic. Let's hope we hear more from PMA. Also, Akihabara has a TX1 for testing.

Peter Solmssen March 8th, 2007 03:54 AM

Canon has reportedly announced a delay in availability of the TX1 to late April. I suppose that means the ones in the hands of reviewers are pre-production models.

Wayne Morellini March 8th, 2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solomon Chase (Post 637709)
That is excellent video quality for the price :) The colors are good, compression looks pretty decent as well (for MJPEG)

Color corrected JPG Attached.

With that filtering it would fit nice on HDTV signal I think.

Lorry Smyth March 10th, 2007 03:06 AM

All the dreads of low bit rate Motion-JPEG are clear as mosquito/ fast moving random noise around contrasty edges. Also very obvious color aberration issues from the lens. I am extremely disappointed with the samples. I guess one cannot expect miracles for a sub $500 camera that does so much.

Let's stay optimistic and hope this is a pre-production model. My fingers are crossed.