Even Hollywood gets down and "dirty" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 15th, 2003, 03:37 AM   #1
RED Code Chef

Even Hollywood gets down and "dirty"

http://www.bigpicturesusa.com/produc...t_030512_5.htm

They set it up on... ROCKS!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

180 million dollar budget and they couldn't come up with a better name than "Troy". I smell a bomb.
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #3
Major Player

And what would you suggest?

Most Hollywood execs have probably never heard of the "Iliad". "The Bootie to Launch a Thousand Ships" doesn't quite work. "Yo, Dude, Wheredya Get the Really Big Horse?" is too long.

"Troy" works for me.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

If it was animated, they could call it Troy Story, and get Tim Allen to do a voice over...

On a more serious note, that was quite a heavy and expensive rig to have it half-assed stacked on those rocks like that. I would hate to have it topple over... especially if I were next to it.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Exactly my point Keith. I seem to remember they usually built
platforms and things like that.... Charles?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Exactly my point Keith. I seem to remember they usually built
platforms and things like that.... Charles? -->>>

I'm not Charles, but if you don't mind I will respond. It was obviously a very simple shot requiring no dolly movement. Using the PeeWee dolly in this position, they could boom up or down if desired. Very possibly the location was selected because there is something in the distance that they wanted in the shot behind Mr. Pitt. This was very likely the most expeditious manner to get the shot. Basically, they just took advantage of the rock because it was there. Some grips would complain that the rocks might play havoc with the wheels by gouging them, which would render them useless when placed on tracks later. But I have to believe they know what they are doing. Grips are pretty anal about these things. I am certain they did not drag the dolly over the rocky landscape, but just picked up the dolly and muscled it to the location. The camera was then placed on the dolly.

Apple boxes come in different sizes, such as full apple, half apple, quarter apple, and "pancakes." It looks to be a number of pancakes were used to level the other side of the dolly to match the height of the rock.

Note the use of the twelve by twelve silk, or possible gryflon, in the left portion of the frame. This is probably to bounce some fill light into the left side of the face. Also note the sun is directly behind B.P. I'll take a wild guess that in the shot B.P. is looking at something off in the distance, and on cue he will turn directly toward the camera in close-up, with his hair glowing from the hard sunlight. Kind of gives you shivers just thinking about it, don't it?

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm really annoyed that they are using a bireme with only one bank of oars. I mean, can you believe it? Neither can I. Achilles would have been so ashamed.
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:20 PM   #8
Air China Pilot

The latest word I heard was that they wouldn't even have the wooden horse, saying that this is about the Iliad not the Odyssey.
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #9
Major Player

Keith, the bit with the horse happens during the Iliad. The Odyssey is the story of Ulysess travels on his way home to Ithica after the fall of Troy.
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #10
Air China Pilot

I don't quite remember their full excuse but if they don't have Odysseus in there as a character then someone else would have to come up with the Trojan Horse ploy. But then, they still have to figure out a way for the Greeks to win anyway. My guess is that they just want to keep things 'realistic' i.e. not have gods or prophecies or Achilles heels or guided arrows, etc.
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #11
Major Player

Wow. Glad I spent the time replying to the original post. I actually thought you guys were interested in production techniques. Maybe I should try a literary forum?

Old May 15th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #12
Major Player

Wait, Sean Bean plays the wily Odysseus in the movie. I know this because my wife thinks Bean is a real hunk and is looking forward to Troy for that reason alone.
Old May 15th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Gee Wayne, I thought you covered the shooting on rocks topic pretty well. Is there anything more to add?

I was pleased to see that they were using actual cameras and actors in Troy. A lot of the LOTR films and the new Matrix, I understand, are computer generated shots. I haven't seen it yet, but from the trailer several key scenes from the Matrix Reloaded look a lot more CG than real, which for that film might just be OK.
Old May 15th, 2003, 02:44 PM   #14
Major Player

Just sour grapes on my part, Rick. I figure everone is so impressed with what I have to say, they will be replying, "Oh God, Wayne, how can we ever thank you for sharing your brilliance with we mere mortals?" You know what I mean?

Old May 15th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #15
Outer Circle

Wayne, thanks. I read all the posts including yours. Like Rick wrote, "I thought you covered the shooting on rocks topic pretty well. Is there anything more to add?"
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News