In Depth iPhone review from a real user at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 26th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #1
Wrangler

In Depth iPhone review from a real user

This review in the Wall Street Journal provides the greatest depth I've seen so far. The author(s) actually used one for a few weeks:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118289311361649057.html

(note that this link may expire after awhile)

Quote:
We have been testing the iPhone for two weeks, in multiple usage scenarios, in cities across the country. Our verdict is that, despite some flaws and feature omissions, the iPhone is, on balance, a beautiful and breakthrough handheld computer. Its software, especially, sets a new bar for the smart-phone industry, and its clever finger-touch interface, which dispenses with a stylus and most buttons, works well, though it sometimes adds steps to common functions.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

That might explain all the photos we've been seeing of alleged users of the iPhone on the Apple rumor sites the past few weeks and months.

heath
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

More official reviews (incl. Pogue at the Times):

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/26/...phone-reviews/

heath
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Trustee

Speaking of iPhone:
http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=71163
Here is a video
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm standing in line to buy an iphone in front of the applestore in cinci right now... and I have to pee..... can someone take my place for a few mins?

kidding...

I've heard there where around 200 released early to "reviewers"

I was considering hocking everything I own and buying apple stock today... I'm sure it will jump! ATT was said to have hired 2000 extra workers for it's release. I'm sure Steve Jobs will be watching the ticker Monday morning.

Last time I remember hype like this was when the "segway" was introduced.... "it'll change all our lives..."
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke View Post
Last time I remember hype like this was when the "segway" was introduced.... "it'll change all our lives..."
Well I don't watch TV anymore, so maybe I'm missing something, but my observation is that I've never seen so many people *saying* how much a product has been hyped. Seems Apple is just advertising the iPhone like all their other products... the "hype" appears to come from other sources and not Apple itself. Doesn't seem like they need to spend anything on advertising in fact, it's remarkable how much free publicity they're getting from the news media.

And no, I won't be getting one. I have a problem with any kind of device like this since it would steal what little free time I have left and chain me to a computer 24/7. But speaking as a shareholder, I hope the rest of you are lining up to get one! ;-)
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Wrangler

Funny that you mention the Segway.... just saw this AP story:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070629/apple_iphone.html?.v=44

Quote:
Even Steve Wozniak, the ex-partner of Apple CEO Steve Jobs, showed up at a Silicon Valley mall at 4 a.m. aboard his Segway scooter. He helped keep order in the line outside the Apple store at Santa Clara's Valley Fair Mall.
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

Great article:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070629/D8Q2PNR00.html

heath
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #9
Wrangler

Heh, that article is almost identical to the AP article I linked to above :-)
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Whoops! Well, it IS AP...

heath
Old June 30th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

How's this? Woz stands in line for an iPhone:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...la-home-center

heath
Old June 30th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #12
Major Player

I was going to try and get one last night...but the lines were crazy here in NYC and probably every other metropolitan city in the US.

I wonder how many of those in line were just trying to flip them on eBay and Craigslist? [Ruins it for the rest of us!]

The last time I've heard of this kind of line in NYC is probably for the Playstation 3 launch[and before that the PSP] and some particular model of Nike shoes.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

In small towns, there were lines, too. As far as re-selling for higher? Nope, Apple had enough made.

heath
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #14
Wrangler

Time Magazine's review is here: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...639068,00.html

Quote:
Steve Jobs has said, repeatedly, that this is the best iPod that Apple has ever made, and it is. It's also the best phone that anybody has ever made. E-mail and web-browsing are unbelievably great. Ditto the crisp music and video playback. Everybody I called with the iPhone remarked on the crispness and clarity of the audio.
Quote:
But to look at the iPhone as a laundry list of features and bugs is to miss the point (though if you did, the former would commandingly outweigh the latter). The iPhone isn't just the gadget du jour, it's a fresh new platform, an exceptionally powerful mobile computer that's still in its infancy. There's a full version of Apple's desktop operating system in there. The Palm and the Treo, et al., were merely harbingers of the era of true walk-around mobile computing that Jobs has just inaugurated. Hail to the chief.
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #15
New Boot

Went down to the applestore last night, and they claimed they were out at 8pm...however they were saving a couple hundred for the morning(truck didn't show until 11am apparently), and we were able to come back at 8:45am the next day, getting out of there with our phones by 9:30.

I have to say I am quite impressed. Overall it is by far the best mobile device I have used to date, and that's ignoring the features like apples reliability, and ease of use in connecting the phone to a computer.

The touch screen alone could keep me entertained for hours.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News