Navigating tracks with chapter buttons at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old July 31st, 2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Navigating tracks with chapter buttons

I did some google searches and looked through my documentation, and couldn't find a direct answer. Maybe someone here will know.

In putting together wedding dvd, I used to assemble all the footage into one large clip with chapter markers in FCP, and then encode and import into DVDSP. Well, one time I found an error AFTER encoding and, after fixing it, had to re-encode the ENTIRE 1 1/2 hour file.

Now, I want to encode each segment into separate files (highlights, getting ready, ceremony intro, ceremony, etc.) and bring those into DVDSP as separate tracks so that if I have to make a change after the fact, I only have to re-encode a much smaller segment. Plus, I can reorder things and separate clips if I want. Seems I would have more control.

Well, this works great except that chapter button navigation doesn't work. If I have say clip 1, clip 2, and clip 3 all playing one after the other by setting the end-jumps, then pressing the next-chapter button doesn't work. Is there a way to do that? to make the chapter buttons move between tracks in DVDSP?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't use DVDSP, so there might be an easier command than what I would use in other programs. A trick to handle the "NEXT" button is to place a dummy chapter mark near the very end of each Title (as close to the end as your software will allow). Then when you hit NEXT, it should jump to the dummy chapter mark, and then continue on to the End-Jump command.

Regards,
George
George Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Excellent idea! I'll try that tonight.

Thanks for sharing!

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center