DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   files too big for DVDSP4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/101465-files-too-big-dvdsp4.html)

Jason Bowers August 16th, 2007 10:43 AM

files too big for DVDSP4

Hi Guys,
I am trying to build a dvd with DVDSP 4 and am getting a not enough space on the disc to build. The whole project is 9.2gigs and about 2hrs and 5min in length. I have never used DVDSP4 so I am using templates for menus. Is there a step I am missing to this, once I finish I click build and it does it's ting but then tells me the output media is not large enough. Any help would be great. OHH I also used compressor to encode to mpeg 2.

Martin Pauly August 16th, 2007 11:41 AM

Hi Jason,

9.2GB sounds way high for two hours and five minutes. How large are the assets (video and audio) that compressor created? The delta between that size and the 9.2GB you have is the overhead for the DVD structure (menus etc.). From what I've seen on this forum, it's quite possible to do something to a DVD menu that lets the overall size explode without DVD Studio telling you what happened, since I don't know of a way to see how the total space is used by the various generated bits and pieces.

So, from a practical point of view, start by finding out how much total space you have on your media. If it's a single layer disk, that's 4.7GB. Divide that into space for your feature (should the lion's share of the total capacity if all you have is your feature and a simple menu or two). Then figure out how much memory is required for sound - use compressor to create Dolby Ditigal 2.0 for normal stereo sound. The remaining capacity is available for your MPEG-2 encoded video, and since you know the available size for it as well as its exact duration, you can compute the average bit rate that will get you to this size. Start compressor with a preset (such as "DVD 16:9 120 minutes best quality") and then adjust the average bitrate before starting the encoding.

That covers the assets for your feature. I don't have any golden rules for creating the menus, other than to monitor the total capacity in DVD Studio Pro as you make changes and undo changes that led to sudden steep increases in memory needs.

Hope this helps!

- Martin

Jason Bowers August 16th, 2007 12:18 PM

The problem is that when I add a submenu for the chapter thumbnails the 3.44gig full version doubles. Not sure if i am doing this properly. Also I have two other timelines one which is 15min and the other 9mins but when using compressor I used best qualtiy 90mins, could this be a problem? All of it should fit on one dvd.

Jonathan Schwartz August 16th, 2007 09:10 PM

Size doubling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bowers (Post 729971)
The problem is that when I add a submenu for the chapter thumbnails the 3.44gig full version doubles. Not sure if i am doing this properly. Also I have two other timelines one which is 15min and the other 9mins but when using compressor I used best qualtiy 90mins, could this be a problem? All of it should fit on one dvd.

Jason,

It sounds like you added a second track for your submenu. Another problem that causes this is the audio you choose for your menu. If you use all 2 hours of audio for your menu it will double the size of your disc. Make sure and limit your menu audio to only 30 seconds. If you end up with a DVD size larger than DVD studio pro can handle, you can always just build the DVD and save it to disc then run Toast and let Toast compress it onto a DVD for you. Hope this helps some.

Jonathan Schwartz
Owner, CA Video Productions