exporting widescreen movies for youtube at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old December 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

exporting widescreen movies for youtube

I shoot my videos in anamorphic widescreen. I notice some videos on youtube appear widescreen (ie letterboxed) but i can't for the life of me export a .mov or .mpg4 that appears widescreen. I have tried numerous settings, and can get my .flv videos to appear in widescreen format on blip.tv.

Can someone please tell me the process for exporting widescreen videos in quicktime format?
Mark Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Major Player

If I had to guess, I'd say they were rendered originally in 4:3 letterbox inside the editing program, and the final letterboxed video then converted for youtube. At least that's how I'd go about it.

Martin
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes, I suppose that is one way of doing it. But I like saving my work to minidv tape, and mastering a 4:3 copy of widescreen footage seems a bit of a waste.

I'm wondering if there are any settings I can do, so I can have the letterbox effect of 16:9 footage in a 4:3 frame, but exported from a 16:9 project?
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What are you exporting your videos out of? I never export 4x3 videos, and my youtube posts always look fine. (letterboxed)

Tell us what program you're using, and perhaps we can help with settings.
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Im using Final Cut Pro 5.1
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shea View Post
yes, I suppose that is one way of doing it. But I like saving my work to minidv tape, and mastering a 4:3 copy of widescreen footage seems a bit of a waste.

I'm wondering if there are any settings I can do, so I can have the letterbox effect of 16:9 footage in a 4:3 frame, but exported from a 16:9 project?
Well, I'm a Premier Pro CS3 guy. The workflow I'd use is, import and edit raw footage in 16:9, export finished cut as 16:9 AVI file, import said AVI file into a new 4:3 project, render as 4:3 letterbox AVI, then move to youtube.

BTW, most of my work's in 16:9. I only letterbox when I don't know exactly what the playback device will be. 4:3 letterboxed is the lowest common denominator in the US. YMMV.

Martin
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks Martin

there has to be an easier way than doing two versions. My vids look great on blip.tv as 16:9 flv files, but youtube gets the eyeballs..and there my vids look crap

the solution could well be youtube going widescreen, as everything else is going, tv, cameras
Old December 13th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Well, technically it isn't two versions. All the hard work (editing, color correcting, etc) is in the native 16:9 version. You just dump the finished product to a 4:3 project and render it down.

Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center