DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   Final Cut to PS3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/111524-final-cut-ps3.html)

Aric Mannion January 3rd, 2008 09:52 AM

Final Cut to PS3?

Eventually I'll have to convert 720x480, anamorphic, and HDV Final Cut projects to play on PS3. Is there a fool proof codec from final cut?

Aric Mannion February 20th, 2008 12:51 PM

Please tell me how to export HDV from final cut for the PS3!
I've tried everything, h264, divx, mp4, I must be missing some stupid little setting.

Aric Mannion February 27th, 2008 12:32 PM

I've read somewhere in quicktime you can:
export> mp4> select pass through for audio and video.
This doesn't compress the video so it only takes a moment. Worked on one test, so I guess this is the way to go.

Jason Boyette February 27th, 2008 09:36 PM

I would love if the PS3 would just play .mov
That would make my life and yours simple!

Let me know what you get to work the best...I'm trying your suggestion now.

Jason Boyette February 27th, 2008 10:13 PM

I have the latest update for the PS3 and i am not able to play .mp4 files?
What am I doing wrong?

Aric Mannion February 28th, 2008 11:28 AM

Did you try my pass through export idea? I started with an mp4 video that people confirmed should play, and it didn't! So then I did the pass through just for the hell of it. The new file I made turned out to be EXACTLY the same as the original. I tried to play it anyways and the new one worked. It's very strange, and I haven't tried from a .mov yet.

a couple things:
Don't use "mp4(Isma)" or whatever from the drop down just use: "mp4".
The dimensions need to be divisible by some certain number (I forgot) just use standard dimensions. It has to be under 4 gigs, the audio must be AAC so don't "pass through" if you need to change that. Very finicky machine...

It's not uncommon for a video to work but then stop working a 3rd of the way through, so good luck.

Jason Boyette February 28th, 2008 11:30 AM

I don't recall the pass through checkbox...I'll look again tonight!

Aric Mannion March 2nd, 2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Boyette (Post 834682)
I don't recall the pass through checkbox...I'll look again tonight!

Your right the pass through is not an option... did you actually try converting it? (I haven't) Let me know if you find successful settings.
There is a program called handbrake online. It has a toggle drawer with presets, including PS3. That has worked for me when converting a dvd chapter.

Jason Boyette March 3rd, 2008 07:50 AM

Every way I've tried out of Final Cut and Quicktime has not been successful. I will try Handbrake...thanks for the suggestion!

I'll get back to you on the results and quality.

Jason Boyette March 4th, 2008 07:48 AM

Handbrake will only work with DVD's (unless I pushed the wrong buttons)
So I threw the quicktime into MPEG streamclip and exported as .mp4
tried it on the PS3...unsupported data...again.

I give up.

Why can't I just put quicktime on my PS3...that would solve any and all problems!

Jason

Andy Wilkinson March 4th, 2008 07:56 AM

Why not just export your HD as an m2t. file as these play beautifully on the PS3? I can also play DivX files but in this case the file size limit is stated as 2GB maximum on Sony's PS3 website.

Jason Boyette March 4th, 2008 08:00 AM

This works great using Sony Vegas and a PC
but Final Cut and Mac's don't like .m2t

I'm trying to get it out of final cut to play on the ps3
any suggestions?

Andy Wilkinson March 4th, 2008 08:03 AM

Sorry mate, I use Vegas so was unaware of this issue with Final Cut. Don't know what to suggest. Anyone???

Jason Boyette March 4th, 2008 08:12 AM

Yes...my only complaint about the PS3...and Final Cut so far is there lack of communication.

I'm sure there is a possible work around out there somewhere
Anybody find a easy solution I'll send them some world famous Bojangles' Chicken and Biscuits from the great state of NC!

Aric Mannion March 22nd, 2008 02:48 PM

to get an hdv file to the ps3 from quicktime -export and select mp4. In the options select mp4 (not mp4 ISMA) video format: H.264
Data Rate: I tried 26000kbits which made it 28.39mbits
image size 1920x1080 HD
Audio: AAC-LC

This seemed to work...
The video seemed to stutter inconsistently, maybe from the data rate?

Please add other methods that may work! Seems like hdv is already mpeg 2 why doesn't it work without compressing? Just because it's a .mov?

Jason Boyette March 22nd, 2008 04:00 PM

hey that worked....it was only a 2 min clip that i tried but no skipping...i bumped up the kbps to 30000 and it looked great

Aric Mannion March 23rd, 2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aric Mannion (Post 846798)
to get an hdv file to the ps3 from quicktime -export and select mp4. In the options select mp4 (not mp4 ISMA) video format: H.264
Data Rate: I tried 26000kbits which made it 28.39mbits
image size 1920x1080 HD
Audio: AAC-LC

I did this again w/ a 3:30 long clip and it does NOT work. "unsupported data"

Aric Mannion March 25th, 2008 10:34 AM

I've done some more tests and so and found that it doesn't work when you select optimized for DVD-Rom, it should be optimized for download. This option becomes available when you select mulipass in advanced. But download is the default.
I'm going to try to bump it up to 70000 kbits, I've heard someone say they've done 80000, so we'll see.

Aric Mannion March 29th, 2008 09:36 AM

AAARGH nothing works 20000 30000 no matter what, it doesn't work! All my 10 second tests work, but when I do the full 3 minutes it's unsupported!