Uncompressed HDV on a PC/Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old January 31st, 2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Uncompressed HDV on a PC/Mac

I feel foolish to ask this, but what is the best way to play uncompressed HDV fullscreen? Windows Media Player doesn't work on my PC, so I'm not sure what will play it beside VLC, and I don't think it's playing uncompressed. I also have a MacBook Pro, but I'm too new to Mac to know.

It sounds ill-advised to run it from a hard-drive, but a jump drive will not hold a very large file.
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Try Media Player Classic aka Guliverkli (just Google it). Plays uncompressed HDV full screen on my Intel Core 2 6400 & 2.13 GHz, one gig RAM work computer. You don't even have to install it, just load from wherever you save it, and it has built-in MPEG2 decoder too.
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
I feel foolish to ask this, but what is the best way to play uncompressed HDV fullscreen? Windows Media Player doesn't work on my PC, so I'm not sure what will play it beside VLC, and I don't think it's playing uncompressed. I also have a MacBook Pro, but I'm too new to Mac to know.

It sounds ill-advised to run it from a hard-drive, but a jump drive will not hold a very large file.

"uncompressed HDV" is a contradiction in terms. It is very much compressed, but at a very reasonable data rate of 25 Mbps it should play back fine on a relatively recent Mac. Have you tried viewing it with Quicktime?
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You're perfectly right Benjamin... what I meant is, I sometimes decompress HDV to uncompressed AVI - it actually plays easier than HDV because it's all I-frame. Media Player Classic plays them both.
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Major Player

If you mean you are trying to play the .m2t files that are created when capturing, you either need to use VLC or get something that can decode them to mpeg2 files (mpeg2 is packaged within the .m2t).

Elecard have such a product that will let you play the files full screen in Windows Media Player.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
You're perfectly right Benjamin... what I meant is, I sometimes decompress HDV to uncompressed AVI - it actually plays easier than HDV because it's all I-frame. Media Player Classic plays them both.
Sure, I just wanted to make sure OP understood...have you tried it on the Mac, Dana?
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #7
Major Player

The HD DVD works beautifully on my Macbook Pro w/o downloading anything.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center