Real time mpeg2 encoding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old February 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Real time mpeg2 encoding

Here's the situation: The job is very lengthy and requires the final output to be on dvd. So, rather than spend a week encoding the footage (120hrs. worth) I want to know if there are options for encoding a live stream to an mpeg2 format. A stand alone recorder would work if it wasn't for the menu systems. This dvd needs to have very nice menu's like you would build in a software solution.

Does anyone know a software encoder for real time mpeg2 encoding? It would need to encode the stream as it comes in through a firewire line. The software would be running on a laptop and recording to an external hard drive.

Thanks for the help.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The fastest mpeg2 encoder I know of is CinemaCraft, but I don't know if it can take a live stream... probably not. If you need fancy menus, you need DVD authoring software, in which case a stand-alone encoder would work just fine with the live stream - you could then rip the DVD, revert the VOB files back to mpeg2 (with Streamclip for example, no re-encoding), then author the final DVD with menus.
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ervin.

I think your right and the fact that the project requires nice menus may force us to either encode the files or use a stand alone player and then pull the files off.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I haven't tried it, but with a powerful enough processor, I would think you could transcode DV streaming over a firewire to MPEG 2 files (that would be compatible for DVD authoring) with VLC media player.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Try this method, I do and it works great.

Use a stand-alone recorder (Panasonic consumer models or JVC SR-MV30 are my picks) to capture the footage.

Get a free program like MPEGStreamclip and de-mux the DVD to a mpeg2 video file and aac (or aiff) audio file.

Import the files to a DVD authoring program that can recognize the components (I use DVD Studio Pro) and create a new DVD with some nice menus.

This method is quick, very low cost and works really well. I'm about to finish a client project right now using this method.
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks William, that appears to be the only real-time encoding option: a stand alone recorder. Sounds good.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center