DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   Can a WMV file and DVD-r program live on same disc for playback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/125115-can-wmv-file-dvd-r-program-live-same-disc-playback.html)

David Decker July 1st, 2008 12:12 PM

Can a WMV file and DVD-r program live on same disc for playback

I've got a client who wants to have a WMV file live on the DVD-r we just created for them to allow playability across a wide range of players - both DVD players and media players on computers . For example, if a viewer has an old system that will not play DVD-R, they would like to have the computer hook up to the WMV on the same disc. Is this possible? I am on a Mac and need to find a way to do this. If possible, can it be done with the internal "burn to disc", or would I need something like Toast.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Giroud Francois July 1st, 2008 02:44 PM

as far as you got the structure on a video DVD (the video_ts folder with proper files) you can add any file you want into another folder (like PC) or even at the root of the disc.
But if the user is not able to read a DVD-R and need a PC, there is probably no need to put a WMV file. Most PC today can read video DVD.

Jason Robinson July 1st, 2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroud Francois (Post 901738)
as far as you got the structure on a video DVD (the video_ts folder with proper files) you can add any file you want into another folder (like PC) or even at the root of the disc.
But if the user is not able to read a DVD-R and need a PC, there is probably no need to put a WMV file. Most PC today can read video DVD.

I have found this to NOT be the case. I created a DVD with Sony's DVDA and after creating the final render files, I added a pictures directory with still images and the DVD would not play on anything except a PC. There must be some way that DVDA needs to flag non-video content so DVDs ignore it.

Giroud Francois July 1st, 2008 05:43 PM

yes if you use an all-in-one authoring program.
personally i do the old way (compiling with cinemacraft, authoring with DVDMaestro, burning with Nero or Imgburn) and it let me do what i want, not what the program wants.

David Decker July 3rd, 2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroud Francois (Post 901738)

Thanks for the info. I am not a programmer per se - so it is great to know it can be done. Our client got the DVD-r and loved it - but then one of their folks told them that it was not universal for their client base and wanted something that would work no matter what .... a story we have all heard!

We have come to an agreement with the client and have a plan to proceed to meet their needs - and the original DVD will stay as was produced.