Jes deinterlacer or compressor for PAL/NTSC conv. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Jes deinterlacer or compressor for PAL/NTSC conv.

Is anyone using this free program to convert PAL to NTSC

Home Page of JES

Is it good? I have compressor but have heard it takes forever to convert (I have a 75 min project I need to convert)
Mark Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I tried using compressor for a PAL to NTSC conversion, and it was going to take 18 hrs for a 75 min project. And a five minute test clip showed that still images (photos) came out as pixelated messes.

So i used Jes deinterlacer to convert PAL footage to NTSC. It seems every few frames (maybe every fourth frame) comes out with horizontal interlacing lines where there is movement in the shot.

I have tried conversions with and without the 'remove jaggies'feature. And then ran the footage thru compressor, trying to get rid of the interlacing by using both the interlacing filter and by via frame controls. But I still get this interlaced look across the project (maybe every fourth frame)

Can someone please suggest how I can get rid of this interlacing, and if I do de-interlace my footage, what effect will this have on tv viewing, of what will finally be a NTSC dvd master?
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

May have found the answer on the Jes de interlacer forum:

"First of all you must get input interlace right. Assuming that is set correctly you can indeed reduce jags by selecting progressive out. Another way is to chose "telecine" instead of blend.
It makes a difference whether you view the result on an interlaced device like a TV or on a computer screen.
If the pattern is more like "every 4th line off" you may need the "reinterlace chroma" option.
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've done a couple of tests using Jes Deinterlacer to convert PAL to NTSC and below are the results:

Test1 - default settings, dvd came out with some minimal artifacts every fourth frame, but only in certain shots.

Test2 - reinterlace chroma option, no real difference to default settings, still minimal artifacts every fourth frame in certain shots

Test3 - reinterlace chroma option, progressive out and telecine instead of blend, this option appear to increase artifact pulsing, in certain shots.

Decided to go with default settings as no improvement of fourth frame pulsing in reinterlace chroma option test.

Unfortunately my project (75 mins long) still had artifact pulsing which appeared to get worst as the dvd got closer the end of the program. I can't work out why certain shots appear fine while others have this pulsing effect.

Really not sure what to do now, any suggestions?
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've done a couple of tests using Jes Deinterlacer to convert PAL to NTSC and below are the results:

Test1 - default settings, dvd came out with some minimal artifacts every fourth frame, but only in certain shots.

Test2 - reinterlace chroma option, no real difference to default settings, still minimal artifacts every fourth frame in certain shots

Test3 - reinterlace chroma option, progressive out and telecine instead of blend, this option appear to increase artifact pulsing, in certain shots.

Decided to go with default settings as no improvement of fourth frame pulsing in reinterlace chroma option test.

Unfortunately my project (75 mins long) still had artifact pulsing which appeared to get worst as the dvd got closer the end of the program. I can't work out why certain shots appear fine while others have this pulsing effect.

Really not sure what to do now, any suggestions?
Mark Shea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center