file size increase upon render at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Major Player

file size increase upon render

Hi people. I've just downloaded a 8MB zipped video file. When unzipped it came out to 18.5 MB. That in itself was new to me! I thought video files couldn't be zipped so effectively. Well anyway, the file has a .MOV extension, Gspot tells me the recommended display size is 1152 x 836, it runs at 10 FPS and is encoded in QT Animation (RLE). The audio codec is IMA 4:1 16-bit.

I imported this file onto Vegas 7 making sure I was using the recommended frame size etc. I did some minor edits and boosted up the audio a little. And then proceeded to render it out. I wanted to keep the same attributes while only changing the frame size from 1152 x 836 to a smaller 800 x 600.

What's happening is that when rendered out in Vegas I end up with a MOV of around 135 MB!!!!! But why????? I'm using the same attributes as in the original file, I'm even reducing the frame size!!! Then why is my render so much larger than the original???????

Please help!

Last edited by Ali Jafri; December 2nd, 2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: detail
Ali Jafri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Setting bitrate for QT Animation in Vegas

Okay I think I've figured out why the file size is so large. It has to do with the bitrate. The original file is 600 and my render is showing 3400. The only thing is that when I open the dialog box in Vegas for rendering it doesn't give me an option to set bitrate, at least not with the Animation preset in quicktime. I can set the bitrate for sorenson 3 or cinepak or H.263 and the render size is even 15 MB but the quality of the video sucks!

In vegas how can I choose the Quicktime animation preset and also set my own bitrate? Or do I have to render it out and take it into procoder or some other transcoder?

Anyone?
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Major Player

You are correct about why the file size jumped. I however don't use vegas so I cannot offer you directions on how to set it when encoding with Vegas. You might get a better response in the Vegas forum or check the help settings for that codec.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center