EPK 4:3 vs. 16:9? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old December 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EPK 4:3 vs. 16:9?

As far as I know footage for EPKs and "Making of" videos are shot 4:3. Is this still the standard or has it changed to 16:9? I know that clips from a movie within an EPK/"Making of" are letterboxed 16:9 but all the interviews and behind the scenes are usually 4:3. I'd appreciate any advice... and references to movies would be great. Thanks!
Ryan Krickow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Trustee

I think the answer depends upon a lot of things. You haven't said what you need the information for. Curiosity? Are you planning on doing something like this? I think the ultimate answer is up to the guy writing the check.

That said, I think that 4:3 is approaching its last days. All TVs now are 16:9. SD TV is still broadcast 4:3 but how long will that last? Do the DTV converter boxes have aspect ratio controls? Having never put my mitts physically on one of them, I don't know. If they do, then 4:3 is even closer to lights out, at least here in the US.

I haven't delivered any SD projects in the last year in 4:3 and I don't expect to in the future. There was a thread somewhere around here recently on this general subject and as I recall 16:9 was the favorite by a good margin.

In the end, the decision is up to the "dreaded client".
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm editing a film and I want to be sure that the "Making of" and behind the scenes footage is shot appropriately for the deliverables' sake. It's hard to know what aspect ratio to pick though, because we don't have a distribution deal so I'm just trying to determine what the most widely accepted format would be. Thanks, Ryan
Ryan Krickow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center