.iso or VIDEO_TS folder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old December 21st, 2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Trustee

.iso or VIDEO_TS folder?

Is there an advantage/disadvantage for burning a dvd using an .iso image file compared to one burned via VIDEO_TS folder?

Is one more stable than the other, or less prone to data errors?

Have you experienced problems or compatibility issues with one or the other?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Trustee

I started burning to .iso files years ago and never looked back. I've not had one problem burning the .iso images to DVD even years later using different machines. I have never tried burning to VIDEO_TS since the .iso files worked so well.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I use the video folder as it gives me the option to check the DVD for possible navigation issues on my PC before burning it to the disk; never had an issue with it.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
I use the video folder as it gives me the option to check the DVD for possible navigation issues on my PC before burning it to the disk; never had an issue with it.
That's actually brilliant. I never thought of that... probably because I'm not.

I liked the concept of having everything buttoned up and self contained in the ISO file, but outputting to folders could save me from wasting disks. I'm going to try this.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Trustee

The free VLC media player can navigate and play .iso and .img files.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik View Post
The free VLC media player can navigate and play .iso and .img files.
Nero Showtime can show videos from .iso files but not navigate menus. I don't know about .img files.

I'll have to check out the VLC player. I know it's been mentioned around here more than a few times.
Old December 24th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I played around with VLC years ago. I forget the details but I ran away and decided I'll never again install that player. For the last three or so years I use Media Player Classic for pretty much all of my media files; it's a very lean, unobtrusive, very small piece of software, and in conjunction with QT Alternative it plays MPEG2/DVD files, fully understands DVD navigation. [Despite rumors, QT Alternative can live peacefully alongside the official QT on the same machine].

For checking DVD folders still on the computer (before burning to disk) a click on the second file in alphabetical order in the VIDEO_TS folder (VIDEO_TS.IFO) starts the DVD as it would in a set top box. I love it!
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #8
Major Player

Another advantage to burning a VIDEO_TS folder is that you can make a hybrid DVD. For the master's portfolio, I made a hybrid DVD that played in set-top players and had extra files on the DVD that could be accessed by a computer. For example: I put a graphic in my video that we know doesn't have high resolution shown as video, but I also put a high res copy as a PDF that someone could access on the DVD with a computer if they wished. The same for some papers that I wrote. I put a short overview in the video and then a full PDF copy on the disc for access if desired. I really liked the way it turned out.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center