VCD problem from FCP to toast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old January 31st, 2004, 08:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

VCD problem from FCP to toast

Hi all:
I'm having a little issue here generating a preview VCD of a rough cut. I generated a DVD from FCP via a Quicktime export to iDVD, and it came out just fine. iDVD has its limitations, of course, but the image was good, and the 720 x 576 PAL frame in FCP was properly unsquashed to its 768 x 576 size during encoding.
However, when I exported a different project through the 'Export Quicktime' command directly to Toast Titanium VCD - installing Toast gives you the option - I got a VCD, but the image is still the squashed 720 x 576 frame. Everything else on the VCD is fine, even the image quality is better than I expected for the file size. The image dimensions are the only issue.
Am I doing something wrong here? (any options unclicked or something?)
Ideas, anyone?
Cheers,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

For the settings did you choose

Image: Crop, Fill, or Fit?

Mode: Normal, Fast, Better?
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I think I selected 'fit' and 'better'.
Should it have been 'fill'?
Best,
Ram
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I would Fill as I have not done it this way however I am remembering this from Studio Pro.

As for the setting Best that would be the right one.

I hope this works if you have problems again I'll try it on my end as to the settings. The only problem I would say it might be that it's PAL and I am not sure of the settings from Toast.
Old February 5th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, Sharon:
I'll try it with 'fill' and 'better', and hope things work out. I don't think the PAL/NTSC issue has anything to do with it, since (like I mentioned) iDVD works with the material faultlessly.
Let me know if you experiment and come up with anything! :-)
Best,
Ram
Old February 6th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just read an article as to not having any hidden files on a Toast DVD or VCD the one most mentioned is the file "DS.Store" as it contains the info as to the window that you open. However it affects the DVD or VCD in question.

From website:

http://www.reservoirmedia.com/dst.html

.DS_Store Terminator v1.0

DS_Store Terminator is a shareware for OsX that removes all .DS_Store in a selected folder. After the .DS_Store is removed, drag the folder to Toast™ or anywhere you want. (Remember don't open or move the folder! The .DS_store will be back)

Basically all the .DS_Store does is hold the information which controls the way the folder will be opened i.e. the shape and size of the window, the position of the window on the desktop and whether file, folder or icon view has been selected. If you were to delete the .DS_Store the folder would revert to the system default next time it is opened and a new blank .DS_Store would appear (invisibly).
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sharon:
I get what you're saying; but logic suggests that this is not the solution to what I'm seeing on screen. When I play back the VCD on my DVD player to a normal 29" Panasonic TV, the image is filling the frame edge to edge - ergo, the DS_store file is not affecting the SIZE of the opened window. But WITHIN that window, the image is still squashed.
Still experimenting with various setting combinations. will post if my results improve - just hope I don't run through loads of CD-Rs in the process! :-)
Best,
Ram
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I will look for the plug-in for you called "Forced Widescreen" as it will force your screen to the size you set.

Can't remember the website yet I will be right back....
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center