Water Resistant Printable DVD-R Media at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old May 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Water Resistant Printable DVD-R Media

I recently purchased Verbatim AquaAce media (#96552); it burns great and the glossy white printable surface looks great. However, the label on the package contains a fine print warning that states the media can become stuck in certain slot load DVD players, such as car players. Does anyone know exactly what the problem is? Does it delaminate, or is it a heat issue with a few players? I called Verbatim technical support and they had no idea about the warning. The lady I talked with said they would research the issue and would try to come up with some information for me. If anyone has experience with this media, I would appreciate your understanding of the problem. I would love to start using it for all of my duplication work, since it is water resistant and the printed image looks superior to the commercial DVD's you buy in the store.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Trustee

I suspect that heat generated by the player could make the ink sticky and if the top surface of the disk remains in contact with some part of the player for any length of time it could get stuck there.

Some printer ink may be stickier or more susceptible to heat than others. I have no clue as to which may be better than others.

Let them dry at least 24 hours before inserting them in one of those players. That should help. In car players could be the worst case scenario for this problem.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm using TY water resistance glossy white DVD. They look great too. Been using them over a year. No complain from any customers.
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I tried a sample CD-R from discmakers that has HydroShield. It has less bleeding of the black ink, but the surface of the sample was not very uniform. It may have been because it was a sample. I've ordered some Taiyo Yuden Water Shield White Inkjet Hub Printable 52X CD-R Media to try with my Epson Stylos Photo 1400 printer. It has the same surface coating as the DVD-R media. I expect it will take a few days to receive them. If they work out, then I will order the DVD-R discs. I'll post my experiences after I receive and test them.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Petersen View Post
I tried a sample CD-R from discmakers that has HydroShield. It has less bleeding of the black ink, but the surface of the sample was not very uniform. It may have been because it was a sample. I've ordered some Taiyo Yuden Water Shield White Inkjet Hub Printable 52X CD-R Media to try with my Epson Stylos Photo 1400 printer. It has the same surface coating as the DVD-R media. I expect it will take a few days to receive them. If they work out, then I will order the DVD-R discs. I'll post my experiences after I receive and test them.
Disc Makers HydroShield are Taiyo Yuden Water Shield.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center