DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   DVD labels throw off DVD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/235162-dvd-labels-throw-off-dvd.html)

Roger Shealy May 11th, 2009 08:14 PM

DVD labels throw off DVD?

I've been duplicating a number of DVD's on two different burners (Sony and LG) and I find that some DVD's play fine until I put on the Memorex labels, then they don't read. I'm using the centering tools, but they can still be off a fuzz.

Anybody else had this problem?

Tripp Woelfel May 12th, 2009 05:13 AM

Labels are bad. Full stop. From unbalancing DVDs to delaminating CDs, labels cause nothing but problems. If you're reticent to use printable media, invest in a Sharpie. It's the safest alternative.

Roger Shealy May 12th, 2009 05:24 AM

What is a good (and inexpensive) solution to produce professional looking DVD's when you're only making 1 - 20?

Art Varga May 12th, 2009 06:32 AM

Ditto on the labels - not worth it if in the end the DVD is unreadable. Get some inkjet printable DVDs and find someone with good handwriting:)

Chris Davis May 12th, 2009 08:00 AM

An Epson DVD-capable inkjet printer can be found for under $100. Google the R280.

Taky Cheung May 13th, 2009 11:01 AM

Yeah I'm using EPson R280 too. Also get those TY water resistance inkjet printable DVD. It has the gloosy look on the printout. highly recommended.

Tripp Woelfel May 14th, 2009 06:02 AM

+1 for the Epson. My almost two year old Epson Stylus 595 is still going strong after printing over 250 disks and case inserts. I'm quite sold on Epson.

Robert Petersen May 14th, 2009 09:10 AM

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 for DVD's

I also use Epson printers. I used an R300 for many years. I finally started getting banding in the blacks on DVD's; the head kept clogging. Epson ran a sale, so I recently purchased an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 and I love it. It performs significantly better than the R300 when it was new, and I have not had to clean the heads once. The ink is more expensive, but seems to last longer. The tray to hold the CD or DVD is significantly improved. It does a great job with printed media.

Kevin Shaw May 14th, 2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Shealy (Post 1141604)
I've been duplicating a number of DVD's on two different burners (Sony and LG) and I find that some DVD's play fine until I put on the Memorex labels, then they don't read....Anybody else had this problem?

Yes, this has been a known problem for years and you should definitely not use stick-on labels on DVDs - especially for professional purposes. Even if they play initially the label can peel slightly over time and cause the DVD to stop working reliably, as happened to me with a couple of customers before I switched to printable DVDs.

The Epson CD/DVD printers are the most widely available in the U.S., and some Canon printers can also be configured to print DVDs (but I think you have to order the tray separately).

Bill Koehler May 14th, 2009 12:30 PM

Epson Artisan 800

I bought one of these earlier this year, so far I've produced ~100 DVD's.

Combined with the Printable Inkjet media, TY or Verbatim, it looks significantly better than using the stick on labels, which is what I used to use. Far more and cleaner detail in any graphics+pictures you may be printing, especially.

Gene Gajewski May 15th, 2009 10:06 PM

I'm using a Canon MX850 scanner/copier/fax. It's prints DVD's fantastically. If's perfect as a main everyday printer - and great for the occaisional DVD.

Roger Shealy May 16th, 2009 07:19 AM

Gene,

I have a MX700, which is very similar. I don't see how either can print onto the DVD itself, but must use labels. Am I incorrect?

Ivan Snoeckx May 16th, 2009 09:01 AM

Your Canon MX700 cannot print on CD's or DVD's.

Such printers have a special sled system that goes through the printer.