DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   Printable DVD's (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/240068-printable-dvds.html)

Warren Cook July 31st, 2009 08:09 AM

Printable DVD's

I'm thinking of buying a DVD printable inkjet printer for DVD's.

When you use a printable DVD can you print the entire face of the DVD or do you have to just print the small center hub?

Thanks for any info on this.

Bill Koehler July 31st, 2009 09:09 AM

I use an Epson Artisan 800.

My admittedly very limited experience is that printers capable of CD/DVD printing come with there own disk label creation software. One of the parameters that you set is the inner and outer diameter within which to print. So you get to specify on how much of the disk you want to print.

Don Bloom July 31st, 2009 09:17 AM

you can print full face if you want to. It'll take some ink to do that but with the right image and the right discs it'll look great.
I use the Epson 1400 (my 2 R200s finally gave up the ghost) and I use TY watershield DVDs. When I do full face discs they look great.
As stated, set the inner and outer diameters in the printing software OR use Photoshop to print with. There are templates available all over for DVD printing.

Chris Davis July 31st, 2009 09:54 AM

I duplicate and print several thousand DVDs and CDs per year. Yes, any DVD capable printer will print the full face of the disk, edge to edge. However, it's not uncommon for disks to move a millimeter or so during printing. That means if you've printed a dark image over the full face of the disk, even a small ring left around the edge is very noticeable. For that reason, I try to incorporate some kind of white edge into my designs, such as the image fading to white as it nears the edge of the disk. It looks nice and makes the exact placement of the image not as critical.

Taky Cheung July 31st, 2009 10:05 AM

I have been using Epson Stylus Photo printer to print on DVD. Now it becomes the Artisan series. Epson Artisan 50 is cheap. Then buy those TY Water-resistance hub printable DVD. They looks gorgeous. I put something in my blog L.A. Color Shop Blog | DVD cover design and DVD label printing

Warren Cook July 31st, 2009 12:17 PM

Printable DVD's

Thanks for the replies guys.

Do the DVD play with out problems when you print full face?

Taky Cheung July 31st, 2009 12:18 PM

There're problems playing back on DVD using sticky labels. I never experienced or been told there're problems with the disc I printed on.

Martin Mayer July 31st, 2009 02:04 PM

Make sure you use Taiyo Yuden "Watershield" DVD-Rs for deliverable discs. No need for lacquer spray, no smear, and they look fantastic.

Don Bloom July 31st, 2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Cook (Post 1179248)
Thanks for the replies guys.

Do the DVD play with out problems when you print full face?

never had a problem. just like the kind you get at blockbuster.

Andy Loos August 19th, 2009 11:17 AM

I will be purchasing one of those epson dvd printers, has anyone tried using cheaper ink from ebay or other places, or do you use the original epson ink? How long will these cartridges last also?

Taky Cheung August 19th, 2009 11:21 AM

I stop buying ink cartridges from Epson. They are just way too expensive. I am now using these CISS system for continous ink supply kit. They works very well. I bought from this company.

Super Smart Electronics Home Page

I bought 2 CISS systems from them for my own use. Also a few of my friends bought from them too. The print quality is great too! also great customer service.

Then the next thing is to buy those Kirkland photo paper from Costco. They are great for photo printing and for printing DVD cover too.

Taky