DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   Sonic DVDit 5. Do you like it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/27187-sonic-dvdit-5-do-you-like.html)

Nathan Gifford June 7th, 2004 10:23 AM

Sonic DVDit 5. Do you like it?

Hello,
I'm using Sonic DVDit PE. Sonic is offering a an upgrade to DVDit 5, but I am not sure if it is worth it. What does the group think are good DVD burning products?

Ed Smith June 7th, 2004 11:45 AM

It all depends what you want from the DVD authoring program.

DVDit is great for simple, quick DVD creation.

I use Sonic's REEL DVD 1 step up from DVDit. I find it a great authoring tool, it enables me to add motion menus and far more audio/ sub title tracks than DVDit I think? plus a whole lot more.

The only other authoring programs I have used are; My DVD 1 below DVDit, and Producer 2 above DVDit. THey are both in differnt leagues so do not really compare.

Cheers,

Nathan Gifford June 7th, 2004 12:53 PM

One of my problems with DVDit PE is that I cannot reverse and cannot FF faster than 2X (on settops, its fine on PC...go figure).

Before I shell out for another product, I want to be sure it functions as advertised. I believe version 5 does offer motion menus, though I might be wrong.

Ed Smith June 7th, 2004 01:29 PM

Strange...

I take it you mean; reviewing the DVD back once you have created it?

If this is the case, this function is normally down to the set top DVD player rather than the actual creation of the disc. Have you tried it on different set top DVD players? Pressing FF or RW on the remote a number of times should speed the process up?

Cheers,

Nathan Gifford June 8th, 2004 11:33 AM

Ed,

Yes, I created DVD+RW (I do this before going to a +/-R disk) on Sonic DVDit PE. It works fine on the PC, plays fine OK on the settop (Apex), won't FF faster than 2 or reverse at all on the settop.

Hence, my dilemma.

Since my experience with Sonic DVDit PE:

- has not been the best.
- I get the same discount MyDVD and SE owners get.

is it better to shell out less for possibly another possibly buggy product or better to go to another product instead? And if so, which one?

Ed Smith June 8th, 2004 11:49 AM

Hi Nathan!

Does a DVD produced by the big movie companies work at more than 2x on FF or RW in your APEX settop?

I can't really comment on whether upgrading will solve the bugs. But generally Sonic seem pretty good at making upgrades and fixing bugs.

Thanks,

Edward Troxel June 9th, 2004 09:09 AM

I can confirm the same FF/RW problem with discs created by DVDit PE 2.xxx. I cannot rewind any discs created in DVDit PE on my player.

I have since switched to DVD Architect. Rewind works fine on that same player.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that the creation software DOES make a difference in this function.

I, too, would like to hear about the 5.0 version (after waiting for 3.0 and then 4.0 to miss their deadlines while MyDVD was getting constant updates I finally switched to DVD Architect).

Anyone else notice their forums are also gone now?

Nathan Gifford June 9th, 2004 10:22 AM

Yes Ed, regular commercial products have no problems with my Apex. I am glad to hear that others have had the same problems with Sonic. I was pretty darn sure it was a problem with PE and hence my concerns about throwing good money after bad. I'm also pretty ticked that as a PE owner, I get the same discount that MyDVD and SE owners gets.

BTW, MyDVD was even more buggy.

Other Ed...I am probably going to give Sonic a pass on version 5 because I don't want to spend another $150 on a product that maybe doesn't work right and an outfit that I have trouble getting answers from.

Ranting aside there are probably better packages for the same or less money.