Suggestions? Video on CD Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old July 26th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestions? Video on CD Software

Can anyone suggest a program that will encode a high-quality video to play back in Windows Media player from a CD?

I've always used a cheap version of Ulead Video Studio to compress video to MPEG-1 (320x240) ... I'd put it on CD with an autorun and it would play on anyone's Window's Media Player or Real Player or whatever.

I'd love to find a program that does the same thing with MPEG-2, since it's a higher quality and offers a larger frame size. Anyone have any suggestions for such a cheap program? I tried a newer version of Ulead Video Studio but the video only plays back half-way on other peoples' computers ... plays fine on mine, though.

Remember: I don't want to edit video with it ... just compress an already-edited video to MPEG-2 format.

Thanks!
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

remember that mpeg2 is not from microsoft and is not included in microsoft operating systems for licensing reason.
Everything that requires software to be installed (especially realplayer) is often considered as a pain by users.
I you really want to be microsoft , go for windows media codecs, that are as good as mpeg2.
as far as i know, you still can produce mpeg1 at non-standard size bigger than 352 x 288 if you need bigger pictures.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #3
Major Player

There are many options out there:
Cleaner, Canopus ProCoder, TMPGENC come to mind.
Check out VideoHelp.com, they have a lot of information
on DVD authoring. I realize it isn't exactly what you're
looking for, but there is quite a bit on there about encoding.

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:42 AM   #4
Trustee

you could create an mpeg2 file, and include a freeware mpeg player on the disc... kind of a hassle, tho.

windows media player has the best quality, but at higher bitrates it may require a faster computer.

if you have the video on your pc, you can download the windows media encoder for free, and see how it works.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center