Best editing software for PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old October 14th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best editing software for PC

Hi all, I'm new here and will have plenty of questions to ask in the future. Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in but could anyone please tell me what the best editing software is?

I don't have a mac, just a sony viao laptop. I have read that final cut pro is fantastic but unfortunatly that is no good to me. So are there any PC alternatives that rival this programme and would suit my every need?

I will be using a Canon XL2 for shooting and will likely need to add some after effects. I am new to DV and editing so any advice would be much appreciated. To be honest I won't even get round to editing until later next year but I could do with pre planning everything early

Thanks in advance
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #2
Trustee

Sony makes a wonderful app called Vegas (used to be Sonic Foundry Vegas). It's a wonderful application which many have called the Final Cut for PC. Your other option is Adobe Premiere. I'm going to dare say that Vegas seems to be much more popular these days than Premiere. I might get shot for saying that though.

I used to use an older version of Premiere. Didn't like it. Switched to Vegas. Adobe updated Premiere into Premiere Pro and it's much better now. Still, I have found no need to switch back. Vegas integrates with Sonic Foundry seamlessly - which is an amazing audio tool that you may find extremely handy down the line.

Poke around in the two forums for these apps:

What Happens in Vegas...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=54

Attend the World Premiere
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=67

Also, the general forum for editing on PC:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=31

Welcome to the forum!
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Imran, much appreciated :)
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Also, just wanted to add that these aren't the ONLY two options out there. There are tons. But these sound like they would be the best option for you, and will carry you through many years before you feel you've outgrown them.

Avid XPressDV is of course, another option, on the higher end. But believe you me, unless you're trained on it you'll have a very hard time figuring it out.

There are many options out there and I'm sure folks will chime in to add their 2 cents.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, like I say. I'm very new to this. I'm sure I'd have my work cut out for sony vegas. It sounds like it would do the job for my project, which will only require minimal after effects anyway. Thanks again
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center