Is there a definitive safe area (art woes) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old February 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Is there a definitive safe area (art woes)

Hi,

We had an artist create an animation for our menu and he spent a good deal of time coming up with a piece that we're pleased with. I told him that 740x480 was the standard for our NTSC 4:3 DVD so that's what he created for us.

Of course I didn't think to fill him in on the safe area / clipping issue and I'm not sure we've got time for him to completely redo 60+ frames of animation.

I was going to just add a black border around each frame and recompile the animation myself but then the things that are close to the edge will show up oddly unless I add the exact amount of pixels to each side that get lost.

Is there such a thing? In other words, how many pixels are lost to the left, right, top, and bottom on a standard NTSC dvd screen?

Thanks,
Kevin

[Addendum: I meant 720x480]
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Is there a definitive safe area (art woes)

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Kimmell : I told him that 740x480 was the standard for our NTSC 4:3 -->>>

I think that should have been 720 x 480, so you are already a little too wide.

I have an NTSC overscan test chart that defines the Action Safe area as 640 x 432 and the Safe Title area as 570 x 384. Not sure if there is an actual "standard" for this however, and not sure if this would be different for DVD's vs broadcast. When I play a DVD on my computer using the Apple DVD player software it shows the full frame (underscans). When I play it on my TV with a regular DVD player it overscans and doesn't show the whole frame.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:17 AM   #3
Major Player

I meant 720...

And I was afraid that this was the answer.

Thanks.
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center