Epson Artisan vs Adobe PS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old November 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Epson Artisan vs Adobe PS

What gives? I can not get a DVD to print properly in the Epson Artesan 800. Epson says I must go thru their CD/DVD software (aint going to happen). Has anyone been successful at getting a DVD from PS to print properly?

JoJo
info@AtlantaVisual.com
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I design the DVD layout in Photoshop, then copy and paste it to Epson PrintCD. It works very well that way. I prepared a DVD label template you can download it here DVD cover design and DVD label printing | L.A. Color Blog
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm sure Taky's got it sussed, but here's another way. I've created a PS template the size of a disk's printable area at 300dpi and build everything in there. Once done, I save a copy as a TIFF and then use that as the background image in Epson's PrintCD application. It's all ticketyboo.

I have a two year old Epson 595 so your software might be different.

Being a gumby, I never thought about copy/paste. Doh!
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's the same workflow. =)

Not quite exactly Ctrl-C Ctrl V. I have to flatten the image in photoshop and copy. Then in PrintCD, select background image, then click the "clipboard" button. viola!
Old November 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the info everyone! I ASSUMED it would work like the printing I do on my Primera Bravo. Seems like alot of trouble.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I create my background in PS at 300 dpi and save it as a jpeg, then use it as a background in my Epson CD print program. Works great. I save the PS file in its layers as a psd as well in case I need to go back later to make changes.

How do you like your Primera Bravo printer? I'm thinking of buying the Bravo Pro printer to replace my Microboards Autoprinter.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Trustee

You might want to substitute the TIFF format for JPEG to eliminate potential compression artifacts.

I do as you do... save the PSD in case I need to make changes, but the TIFF goes over the Epson PrintCD app.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I agreed. If you need to make an intermediate file, try to do it with lossless format. TIF and BMP are good =)
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Major Player

I just stumbled onto this thread, and hope someone who prints on DVDs can offer a bit of guidance. I have an Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer that prints labels to DVD directly. It is broken. The DVD is not pulled into the machine to print. The machine is crap, always has been. I'd like to replace it with something, reasonably priced, from another manufacturer, but can't seem to find any. Does Epson hold a patent on this technology or something? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #10
New Boot

I have a work around, but there's got to be a better way.

I know this is an older post, but I'm facing the same issue. I had an HP Premier which could print directly from Photoshop but it died prematurely. I just bought an Epson Artisan 800 (great deal from Epson at $150 brand new). Photoshop finds it but it won't let me select the CD/DVD disc tray. So I called Epson's "dedicated help" line and the non-English speaker I reached there told me it can not print from anything but the Epson Disk software, but that I could import my image into that. I will say that software looks much more sophisticated than HP's equivalent, but every time I tried to print from it it crashed (latest version). So as a work around I saved the Photoshop file as a jpeg and put it on an SD card. This will print when stuck directly in the printer slot, but of course with a jpeg you loose quality/colors, not bad but not as good an image as I got from the HP (straight from Photoshop).

I can't believe there isn't some tweaking that could make this print straight PS, it seems like an obvious use. With the HP I had to stumble upon the right settings as there was nothing in the documentation, but once I got it set it worked fine. So if anyone knows, please post.

Also, anyone having the crashing problem with the Epson software? I am on Snow Leopard (the tech guy made that sound like I had a Lamborghini), but the Epson site says the download I di work for 10.6.x
Jeff Mueller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center