A Quick Time Question: at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old July 27th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A Quick Time Question:

This question might not fit in this category but here goes. I have a 3-minute movie that I have done in FCPHD. It is going to be shown at a sales meeting. The person-showing movie will be on a laptop and it will be projected on screen. My question is. What size should I make QT movie so that the quality of movie looks good on screen. I do not have projector to test. Would 720X480 work, or do I need to go larger? If I need to go larger what would be the next proportional size.

Thanks, Ron Jones
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #2
Wrangler

Is your movie in the 4:3 format? Remember that Quicktime doesn't understand non-square pixels, so if you make the size 720x480 then everything will look a bit wider and shorter than it should. Scale your movie for square pixels in the 4:3 ratio - for example: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768.

To choose the correct size I think you will need to know more about the laptop that's showing the movie, what software they are using, the resolution of the projector, and how it's hooked up to the computer.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Ron,
Do not go any bigger than 640 x 480 as his computer will most likely not be able to play it back smoothly if it is any bigger. You can change the 'playback' size to whatever you want inside his quicktime player. If he has quicktime pro, you wil also be able to go full screen.

My advice would be this:
Encode out of FCP with the folowing settings:
640x480
Sorenson 3 video set at 65% quality
AAC audio set at 128kbps

Then play the output file on his computer using quicktime pro in fullscreen mode. Also be sure to test that his computer can actually play back full screen video.

My 2 c,
Eric James
http://www.expertmagic.com/
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Is your movie in the 4:3 format? Remember that Quicktime doesn't understand non-square pixels, so if you make the size 720x480 then everything will look a bit wider and shorter than it should. Scale your movie for square pixels in the 4:3 ratio - for example: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768.

To choose the correct size I think you will need to know more about the laptop that's showing the movie, what software they are using, the resolution of the projector, and how it's hooked up to the computer.

Thanks, much

Ron Jones
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric James
Hey Ron,
Do not go any bigger than 640 x 480 as his computer will most likely not be able to play it back smoothly if it is any bigger. You can change the 'playback' size to whatever you want inside his quicktime player. If he has quicktime pro, you wil also be able to go full screen.

My advice would be this:
Encode out of FCP with the folowing settings:
640x480
Sorenson 3 video set at 65% quality
AAC audio set at 128kbps

Then play the output file on his computer using quicktime pro in fullscreen mode. Also be sure to test that his computer can actually play back full screen video.

My 2 c,
Eric James
http://www.expertmagic.com/

Thanks, Eric

Ron Jones
ron.jones@aw.com
Ron Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center