Help with 720p WMV Delivery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Help with 720p WMV Delivery

Hello,

I have been experimenting with delivering 720p60 WMV files. I thought I could make a data DVD and keep the bitrate between 4000kbps and maybe up to 9000kbps depending upon the length of footage.

Well everything plays fine on my editing computer. When I try to play the files on my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop from 2005/6 it goes a little south. A bitrate of 4000kbps showed skipping when played straight from the DVD disc. If I copied the file to the laptop's hard drive I could play even the 9000kbps file smoothly.

I tried to play from an older desktop computer which is about 6 years old and nothing of the bunch would play without stutters even from the hard drive.

I guess I thought that if the bitrate is in the same range as DVD bitrates that the systems could handle the playback (even though the frame size is a lot larger). Now I do not know if this is a viable delivery option not knowing what computer folks are going to play the files upon.

I did not expect an issue at 4000kbps over the DVD drive in the laptop.

Your input and or suggestions would be appreciated.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Same problem as over the internet. Frame rate is FAR too high. You need to be delivering at between 20 and 30fps if you expect anyone to play it back reasonably.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hey Perrone, thanks for the quick reply.

I will try to encode some new files out at 30fps and see if that helps.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Update: Thanks Perrone. Everything is playing fine now. Moving down from 60fps even to 40fps makes a large difference.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Update: Thanks Perrone. Everything is playing fine now. Moving down from 60fps even to 40fps makes a large difference.
You are welcome.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center