Is a DVD playable in Morocco (SECAM) in fact PAL? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old December 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Is a DVD playable in Morocco (SECAM) in fact PAL?

I shot an engagement party in NTSC, and the client asked for a DVD that can play in Morocco. A quick Google search indicated that Morocco uses SECAM; another search on this forum suggests that DVDs in Morocco are, in fact, PAL, and that broadcasting converts to SECAM.

Am I to understand that a region-free PAL DVD will play everywhere in Morocco?

Second question, just for the heck of it: is it possible to have a hybrid DVD with both PAL and NTSC footage on it that will play in any player?

(and yes, I know about cheap multi-region players, I'm just trying to accommodate clients).

Thanks for the informative and technically-thorough replies I'll surely get. I love how answers on this forum almost always surpass my (high) expectations. :-)

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes a PAL DVD will play everywhere in Morocco.

No you can't have both PAL & NTSC on the same DVD They are two different formats.

A lot of new DVD player will play both formats but your TV also have to accept both formats and most of them are not.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
No you can't have both PAL & NTSC on the same DVD They are two different formats.
There are hacks possible, but I was looking for tried and true solutions.
http://avidemux.org/admForum/viewtopic.php?id=4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
A lot of new DVD player will play both formats but your TV also have to accept both formats and most of them are not.
Multi-format players will play both formats and output to either NTSC or PAL, so you don't need a special set.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center