DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   DVD printing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/490347-dvd-printing.html)

John Gerard January 18th, 2011 05:21 PM

DVD printing

Hi,
I just got the Epson R1900 printer and the TY WaterShield DVDs. I have just started to pint a few DVDs. The DVDs look excellent. I am playing around with the printer settings to see if I can get even better looking prints. The first disc I printed using the DVD premium setting. These DVDs are hub printable. The disc looks great except that viewing the disc from the edge in sunlight the blacks look flat. Like they are not being absorbed into the disc surface. Then I tried printing with the photo glossy paper option with the gloss setting checked. The blacks look much better and shinny again but the gloss does not print very well on the hub of the disc. So has anyone come up with the perfect setting? This printer has two settings... DVD and Premium DVD. I am not sure if this makes much of a difference. The inks are pigment based.

Thanks,

John Gerard

Kyle Root February 12th, 2011 04:41 PM

I just got an Epson Artisan 835 All In One on Tueday and pirnted some DVDs on it today (I got a 25pack of Memorex Printable DVD-Rs from Staples on sale for $9.99) and they look absolutely amazing. They are vivid and sharp using a JPG wedding photo and some text overlay.

I was reading through the actual printer paper (4x6 glossy paper) and it says that it takes 24 hours for the ink to dry and over that time, the ink will likely change color and look better after 24 hours....

The same may be true for DVD printing.

Don Bloom February 12th, 2011 08:50 PM

I've been using the 1400 for over a year also use the TY (now JVC) Watershield discs. I agree the blacks look a bit flat if looking from the edge however in the hundreds of DVDs I printed on it I've never had a complaint. I set the printer to Premium DVD surface but have tried the DVD setting and honestly was very hard pressed to tell the difference.
I *think* the regular DVD setting is for matte finsih discs but am not sure about that. As long as it looks good while looking at straight on I don't worry about it. I don't think a client is going to look at it from the edge and if they did probably wouldn't notice if the blacks looked a bit "off".

YMMV

John Gerard February 13th, 2011 11:57 AM

TY WaterShield DVDs

Hi,
Have you tried using a setting that allows for the clear gloss spay. As my other post said I have tried both ways. Except for around the center ring area I like the gloss printed DVD much better. The blacks are no longer flat looking. I am amazed at how great the DVDs look printed from my Epson R1900. I am still looking for a CIS system that uses pigment based HQ ink. I also wonder which black the printer is using when in the DVD print setting. My printer has two different blacks I believe. This might be the issue. Because every other color looks great so it could not be the media otherwise the other colors would look flat as well. I could tell this when I printed a picture on my old Epson 960 still a great printer but no 64bit drivers. When I printed on, I think it was HP paper the print looked like it just got painted on top of the paper. Like the ink never got embedded into the paper. Printing on Epson paper looked perfect.

John Gerard

Sean Seah February 14th, 2011 09:38 AM

TY Watershield Roller marks?

Anyone has roller marks on the TY watershield?

Adam Palinkas April 6th, 2011 03:31 PM

Re: DVD printing

Sean,

The only time I had rollar marks on a TY watershield was using my old HP printer. When I first tried the TY disc with the HP printer I decided to by an Epson and now will never by another HP printer. The Epson blows away any HP I have ever owned.

John Gerard April 6th, 2011 07:33 PM

Re: DVD printing

Yep, I got an Epson r1900 to replace my 960. I just installed the Lyson CIS. After tweaking the printer setting. It is assume. :-). The only down side is that the prints come out so great that they show up every detail and imperfections in the photo. Imperfections that one does not see as much on a computer LCD screen. My gloss printing problem might have been do to finger prints on the disc while putting the disk on the tray and then printing the gloss over the finger prints. That's all I can think of. I did make sure that I keep the finger prints off the center while placing the disk on the try the last several discs and they look great. Also I hardly use any ink with the CIS, I would recommend the L:yson system. The company "marrutt" is based in England where I bought the product. They have a lot of Youtube videos on how to install the system. If you go slowly it is not to had to install.

John Gerard