streaming to the web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

streaming to the web

Hey everyone,

Is anybody streaming live events (sports) to the internet? If so what gear are you using? I have an ex1-r and will be shooting hockey this fall. I want to be able to stream the game from my camera and then during intermission play back some pre-recorded items. Any suggestions! Thanks in advance for any help.

Darryl
Darryl Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: streaming to the web

I don't do sports but live services at my church. I currently use a Camcorder with Firewire (Pana DVC30) and run it into a desktop computer with sound from the mixer and stream using UStream.tv

Jeff
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Major Player

I have been involved with live and tape delayed internet broadcasts ranging anywhere from 1 to 4 cameras (I don't think we ever hit five). If you are looking for an all in one, turnkey solution to internet streaming application, look into Newtek's tricaster systems. Be ready to pay $$$. The Tricaster XD850, the XD850 CS, Timewarp, and live text was all used with stuff I worked on.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't build a PC and buy some software as per your taste and stream like that which is what I am looking to do, because youll save a couple grand... enough for a camera, cable, and audio equipment. Or a replay machine/switcher if you need it. Now, these streams we ran fiber to the far reaches of fields, etc etc, but and it doesn't sound like you want to do something this complicated.

For these streams we ran sony NXCams primarily, but we also had a panasonic tag along for the fourth camera. Anything with SDI or HD-SDI out should suffice, but obviously streaming HD is kinda hard. We streamed offsite @ 720/60p for a master and recorded locally, but playback for broadcast was obviously different. For far cable runs we ran fiber with rattlers, and anything more reasonable we just ran BNC as needed. XLR with mics to everyone, but your not really gonna have to chatter a lot on headsets if this is a 1 cam thing...
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks! Lots to think about.

Darryl
Darryl Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Pretty much the best software based way that I know of is wirecast. You
can use regular DV cameras connected by firewire, switch the cameras, and add graphics,
plus play pre recorded movies. I do it with a laptop and a couple
firewire DV cameras, as bandwidth for HD streaming is hard to get
(remember you need UPSTREAM bandwidth not downstream.)
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center