Region free DVD player for the USA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Region free DVD player for the USA

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced region free DVD player that is widely available in the USA and will play back both NTSC and PAL discs.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Region free DVD player for the USA

I don't know the answer to your question directly, but I have ...ahem... heard others hack DVD players to make them region-free with remotes. You could try googling the model number and see for yourself. Your risk completely.
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

There are such aftermarket kits for the Oppo. Not sure if it fits your definition of "reasonably priced." It already plays NTSC and PAL so no worries there.
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments which are much appreciated. I am aware of the existence of hacks but this is to help someone in the USA who has some PAL DVDs he wants to be able to play. There is a hack available for his Sony player, but the procedure is complicated and he's not at all technically minded and doesn't want to try it, which is fair enough.

@ chip.Excuse my ignorance, but what is the oppo?

Thanks again

Paul
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I would explore this online store. Several years ago I purchased a multi system DVD player/VCR combo from them and I still use it.

Region Free DVD Players, MultiSystem LCD TVs, Region Free DVD Recorders, Multi-System Plasma TV, multi-system TVs, PAL LCD TV, PAL TV, Step Down transformer, Step up transformer, Chicago
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestion. That link looks very promising, I'll contact them and see what they recommend.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #7
New Boot

You should find them easily. I purchased a Pioneer unit from B&H last year for under $100. It also has surround and DTS and DVD-Audio abilities. I'll admit I've only played PAL discs in stereo as I don't have any PAL surround discs. But it scales and plays like a charm.
David Foster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center