MPEG2/DVD Compression Settings for High Action Sport: Advice Sought at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old May 27th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MPEG2/DVD Compression Settings for High Action Sport: Advice Sought

Hi there

I have just started producing DVDs of Australian Rules football games of about 90 minutes duration.

With a one camera set-up, there is a lot of panning and moderate tilting.

I shoot in DV format on a Sony Z5Pand capture/ingest AVI files in Sony Vegas 10.

I just completed a batch of DVDs, encoding the AVI files as standard MPEG 2 files.

The results were adequate using the standard template for a single pass VBR encoding, and there was not one complaint.

However, I am keen to experiment a little with different compression settings to better the workflow and DVD, and to actively learn more about encoding/compression.

For example, in a high-action sport like Australian Rules football, would a Constant Bit Rate encode produce a better DVD than a Variable Bit Rate encode? If VBR is better, what should I be dialling in on the relevant settings.

Any advice or suggestions from the field are APPRECIATED.
Miggy Sanchez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center