DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   dual layer "changeover" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/56075-dual-layer-changeover.html)

Mo Zee December 14th, 2005 09:49 PM

dual layer "changeover"

i mastered for the first time on dual layer dvd, and some frames seem to get lost during chaging layers. do i need to extend the tail of content on layer 1 and head of the content on layer 2? by how many frames (30p)? thanks.

i used premiere pro- encore- nero

Mo Zee December 18th, 2005 10:09 PM

guys, any help? my deadline is approaching soon and i need to clean up my layer break...

Guest December 19th, 2005 08:22 PM

The layer change is a physical thing, Its not a loss of frames... The lasers on DVD players have to make an adjustment and this takes a second and therefore you get a pause.. You will never fully avoid it you will only be able to mask it.. Your best bet is to try and arrange your disk so that it sits at the beginning of a title and not a chapter midway through your feature.. Or if it must sit in a chapter try and put it where there is a fade to black so it cannot be noticed.

There are other things which can conceal this issue also.. You can write DVDs as OTP which will write the data in the opposite direction so when the laser re calibrates for the break it doesnt need to return to the edge of the disk the new data is directly next to it on the other layer.. In order to use this you must be mastering to DLT though as normal writers dont support OTP only PTP..

Also on some DVD players you may not notice the pause at all cause they have a small playback buffer and can manage through the laser adjustments..

Mo Zee December 21st, 2005 09:21 PM

thanks. it's odd that i really don't get a pause (which is what happens with commercially reproduced dvds), the player just skips frames, and this is from 2 different players already. i will verify this by recording playback and comparing it to the edit. i just looked for a better point to change layers. thanks again.

Yi Fong Yu December 29th, 2005 08:13 PM

i believe DVD-Architect 3 gives you the ability to detect where the layerchange is. i've seen option marks for it but haven't tested it myself.

also, some DVD players have buffers. so you don't notice the changeovers. most of the movies try to mask it by approximating where the layer change is and placing a cut there.

Mo Zee January 1st, 2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
i believe DVD-Architect 3 gives you the ability to detect where the layerchange is. i've seen option marks for it but haven't tested it myself.

also, some DVD players have buffers. so you don't notice the changeovers. most of the movies try to mask it by approximating where the layer change is and placing a cut there.

thanks. i use encore, and i can specifically determine when the layer change happens. the solution i found was to choose a point which had a relatively "loose" picture cut and low audio level.