replication question.... DVD5 vs DVD9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old December 27th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

replication question.... DVD5 vs DVD9

I've got my DVD Authored and "ready to go" to bring to the replication facility. I am planning on getting 1000 replicated with a glass master..... Anyways, the question I have is what's the difference between DVD5 and DVD9? I got a quote for DVD5 and only have about 45 minutes of video that will be burned on each disc.... is DVD9 just more space?? Thanks in advance.
Old December 27th, 2005, 06:43 AM   #2

Yes, DVD9 is just more space.. Since you only have 45 minutes it will fit at max quality on DVD5.. DVD9 would look exact same, you would just be paying for extra disk space and doing nothing with it..
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Piper
Yes, DVD9 is just more space.. Since you only have 45 minutes it will fit at max quality on DVD5.. DVD9 would look exact same, you would just be paying for extra disk space and doing nothing with it..
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. You da man!
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob DuBroc
is DVD9 just more space??
DVD-5 is a single-side, single-layer DVD, whereas a DVD-9 is a single-side, dual-layer disc with basically twice the storage capacity as the DVD-5. It's what most Hollywood DVDs are made as (two hours on one disc with modest compression and multiple audio tracks).

The trouble with authoring DVD-9s is dealing with the break (which we all know from the movies, that inevitable hesitation while the player refocusses on the second layer). If you submit a master of your program on DLT, you'll need two for a DVD-9, and they have to be just so.

In short, DVD-9 is twice (though actually not quite, given overhead) the capacity of a single-sided DVD as DVD-5, but with more than twice the hassle.
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

okay cool, sounds like DVD5 is what I'm needing then....

also, I'm getting 1000 replicated... is $1.48 per DVD in retail pack(sleeve, printed DVD, glass master) shipped to my door a decent price?
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob DuBroc
okay cool, sounds like DVD5 is what I'm needing then....

also, I'm getting 1000 replicated... is $1.48 per DVD in retail pack(sleeve, printed DVD, glass master) shipped to my door a decent price?
How did your replication job went if you don't mind my asking?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center