DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   Plextor... anyone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/69464-plextor-anyone.html)

Ervin Farkas June 13th, 2006 10:42 AM

Plextor... anyone?

I've been researching external DVD burners and Plextor keeps coming up as one of the most expensive ones. I suppose that means quality... The only direct reference I have is a friend who has already burned several thousand DVDs with a Plextor.

I don't seem to find too much about Plextors in the forums; what little there is, it's 3 years old or older. So I am asking for your experience...

Will a Plextor be a good choice for an external burner? Do you have one? Has it fulfilled your expectations?

I am especially interested if Plextor has given up on their earlier position where they stated that they will not make it possible for the booktype to be set.

Thanks,

Lars Siden June 13th, 2006 11:28 AM

Plextor did mean quality a couple of years ago, especially on the SCSI side.

These days many companies offer good quality and a nice price. Considering the leaps in technology - maybe it is better to have a cheap drive and change every two years or so...

// Lazze

Christopher Lefchik June 13th, 2006 12:09 PM

There was a stink perhaps a year or so ago where Plextor sold DVD burners they knew were substandard to Best Buy. I read about it on either the CDfreaks.com or CDRinfo.com forums, where people were up in arms about it. Considering the premium you pay for Plextor, and the quality and features you can get elsewhere it probably isn't worth it. Check the DVD burner reviews on the aforementioned sites and on www.pcmag.com and www.pcworld.com.

Chris Owen July 12th, 2006 11:35 AM

I am currently using a Plextor and paid the higher price for better quality and more features. I have also used MANY cheaper brands with basically the same results. I paid more for the Plextor and I still have to get up and make my own coffee.

What I am saying is, the Plextors are nothing special (at least not the two I have). My next build will go back to NEC, LG, or LiteOn (probably my favorite drives and among the cheapest).

Ervin Farkas July 14th, 2006 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chris,

you probably missed this computer model if you still have to get up from your computer to make your coffee...

:)

Chris Owen July 14th, 2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
Chris,

you probably missed this computer model if you still have to get up from your computer to make your coffee...

:)

HAHA! That is great! I know what I'm building this weekend ;)

Brad Stabio July 15th, 2006 05:06 PM

Mine works great

I have the Plextor PX-708UF external DVD burner and I have had great results with it. I prefer it to my internal burner and it's faster. No coasters. It's about a year and a half old and still going strong. I don't know if their quality has gone down hill as the previous post says, but I would recommend their product based on my experience.