DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   -R +R Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/74421-r-r-questions.html)

Bill Hamell August 28th, 2006 03:26 PM

-R +R Questions

We all know when we go to buy writeable DVDs we are presented with the choice of -R or +R DVDs.

What is the difference and which is the best one for authoring DVDs?

Thank you,
Bill

Emre Safak August 28th, 2006 04:40 PM

I believe the best is to get DVD+R and bit set it to DVD-ROM. Then, it will appear as a pressed DVD. Bit setting is a feature of your DVD writer and has to be enabled in software. Search Google for more information.

Christopher Lefchik August 28th, 2006 11:48 PM

To expand a bit on what Emre said, BitSetting (also called BookType) is a standard flag on the lead in of the DVD that identifies what format the DVD conforms to. The purpose of changing the BitSetting to DVD-ROM is to avoid problems with a few older players that balk if a DVD is not flagged as a DVD-ROM. Only the DVD+R format supports the ability to change the BitSetting to DVD-ROM. See the VideoHelp.com Glossary for more information.

However, even with the ability of the DVD+R format to change the BitSetting, the DVD-R format is still slightly more compatible with set top DVD players. However, the difference is not much, so I would not advise worrying about it.

George Ellis August 29th, 2006 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Hamell
We all know when we go to buy writeable DVDs we are presented with the choice of -R or +R DVDs.

What is the difference and which is the best one for authoring DVDs?

Thank you,
Bill

What burner do you have? That can make a difference too. Pioneers write better on -R. HP and Sony on +R. NEC, BenQ are a toss-up, but both can have their firmware upgraded to support bitsetting (a Pioneer cannot).

Emre Safak August 29th, 2006 05:20 AM

Chris meant DVD+R, not DVD+RW.

Christopher Lefchik August 29th, 2006 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Chris meant DVD+R, not DVD+RW.

Uh, actually I did mean DVD+RW, as I was using it to refer to the whole format in general (e.g., as in the DVD+RW Alliance that created both the write once and rewritable formats). But since it can be confusing it would probably be better for me to change my first post.

Ervin Farkas August 29th, 2006 10:23 AM

Benq DV1655 with TDK media

After reading a lot on this forum about the problems I was having with DVD compatibility, I bought a BENQ DW1655 for $33 and change from Newegg (no tax, free shipping). Installed it (physically), installed Nero 6.6 that came with it, upgraded the driver software from the benq.com website - and I have yet to hear from someone that the discs I am burning won't play! All +R discs are burned as DVD-ROMs by default (bit setting is supported), but -Rs also play no problems, even on cheap portable players.

Cream on top: it comes with LiteScribe capability and Nero cover designer integrated... the best $33 I have ever spent!!!

I am pretty faithful to TDK blanks, both +R and -R and have zero problems...

Gints Klimanis August 30th, 2006 03:08 AM

Ervin,

My sentiments on the BENQ DW1655 exactly. It is a fast reader, and after upgrading its firmware, it's one of the top DVD burners in both the speed and reliability category. I bought it for the booktype setting capability, and was a tad upset that Nero wouldn't allow me to set it. As you've already figured out, the booktype settings for each of the +R media types are stored in the drive and can be configured using the BenQ utilities.

I've been using the 8x and 16x TDK DVD-R and DVD+R printables that are available at Costco. Often enough, they run two for one specials on 100 pk spindles, though I've basically amassed an inventory in the closet.

The LightScribe is great, but I haven't tried it yet. I just bought some 16x DVD-R (wanted DVD+R) from Fry's Electronics on a 25 pk for $13 special.

Have you tried dual layer discs yet ? I have some that should arrive soon, along with 8x DVD+RWs.

There is a DW1670, which appears to be the successor to the DW1655. However, with the addition of the 1670's DVD-RAM abilities comes the reduction of some of the burning speeds.

Ervin Farkas August 30th, 2006 05:50 AM

Gints, LiteScribe is great on the 1655! They have reduced the burning time too with the newer software upgrade, so unless you have a color printer, this would be the second best option for printing professional looking discs.

We're on the same page regarding those TDKs as well, I am also buying at Costco and take advantage of the "buy one, get one free" deals they have every now and then - my stock is down to about 150 right now...

I have just downloaded the upgrade for Adobe Encore 1.5 and bought a pack of 5 dual layer DVD blanks for testing purposes - until now I didn't have the need to burn one, but will do some testing to be ready when time comes.

Bill Hamell August 30th, 2006 01:29 PM

To All,

Thank you for all the information and experience.

I have a Sony DRU-820A and have had a problem with one DVD player and it is an important one my parents. :-)

It will not read –R DVD disks that I produce it will read a +R DVD though.
Here’s the kicker it is a DVD recorder and requires –R disks! Go figure.

I am using Sonics DVDIt to author the DVDs.
So I guess I will stick to +Rs and leave it at that.

Again thank you and please continue with the thread.

Bill