How much to get an HD disc made? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old September 4th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #1
Inner Circle

How much to get an HD disc made?

So now that we're close to being able to make high-definition DVDs, what should I expect to pay to have someone else do that for me from an HD video file? I'm asking because I have a customer who wants a Blu-ray disc of their wedding, and I need to figure out how to factor that into my pricing until I buy a burner. Thanks.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
So now that we're close to being able to make high-definition DVDs, what should I expect to pay to have someone else do that for me from an HD video file? I'm asking because I have a customer who wants a Blu-ray disc of their wedding, and I need to figure out how to factor that into my pricing until I buy a burner. Thanks.
I'm dealing with the same issue.

I don't charge extra to shoot in High Def. Therefore, I would charge $100 for the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD of their project. The blank disks alone cost $25 bucks and the burners aren't going to be cheap either.

I'm not offering it to my clients yet until I can burn to a true HD/Blu-Ray disk.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

burners are about $1000

now more than likely your also doing SD DVD deliveries..
so then, what you gotta do is not only author an SD DVD, but also author a HD/BD dvd.

At this time, i would leave your project as a complete configuration on an external drive which the client pays for.

Then when teh media is available, they can return that drive and you jsut render out and author to whatever format you want.

I charge $1000 extra for HD. These are M2t and AC3 renders delivered on HDD...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
now more than likely your also doing SD DVD deliveries.. so then, what you gotta do is not only author an SD DVD, but also author a HD/BD dvd.
What I was thinking is to pay someone else to author my HD discs until I feel like gearing up to do that myself, and just pass the extra cost on to my customers. What does it cost today to have someone author and burn an SD DVD?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
I charge $1000 extra for HD. These are M2t and AC3 renders delivered on HDD...
I'm thinking about having 2 seperate rates for SD & HD. I'll probably go that route when the burners become more readily available.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

yeah.. i keep my rates standard now... Sd DVD progressive scan, DD 5.1 etc etc.. then if they want HD, they throw in an extra grand

I found its the easiest way to manage the packages with much less thinking invovled..

as for who does it, im waiting for my burners to come in..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
as for who does it, im waiting for my burners to come in..
Peter: if you were going to author HD discs for other videographers, what do you think you might charge for that?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center