controlling idvd and burn speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old December 16th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

controlling idvd and burn speed

Hi

Ok, if ive got the homework right the reasons for stuttering inconsistent playback on disks burned out of idvd could be disk quality, bit rate, burn speed or dvd player quality.

My disks are good quality, idvd apparently works automatically at a bit rate of 6 or 6.5 which is way under the 7.3 i've seen reccomended for reliable burning, and ive purchased a new dvd player that is playing disks my previous one would only give me 'disk error' on.....so that leaves burn speed.

This may turn out to be dumb but i dont see where in my chain i can control the burn speed?

I export my sequence from fcehd3.5 as a self contained quicktime movie, bring that into idvd6 (with 'best quality' set in prefs) and burn.....where can i get control of burn speed?

Thanks.
Michael Donne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The best thing to do is to export it as a disk image. Then once this has been done, open it in disk utility and the click burn. This this will then give you aload of options, including burn speed. I do this all the time.

Thanks,
Nathaniel
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks but Ive tried burning a disk image but control of burn speed on my imac and its built in burner wasnt apparent. I went and asked at an apple shop and they reckoned i couldnt control burn speed. if anyone with a 2gb intel dual core 20" imac knows otherwise that would be helpful..
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I work at a film production company and they only use mac. i use about 15 different macs a day and i no it can be done because all the dvds produced at this company are done on IDVD or DVD Studio Pro. on 1 of 5 imacs. All these are either done on the old PPC or the intel Core 2 Duo macs. All editing is done on mac pro's or power macs.
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Burn speed is only adjustable using your burner's driver software (whether directly, or, if the driver soft allows it, via other applications). If the driver don't have it, then you don't have it. I'm in PC land, but I don't see why it would be different on the MAC.

As one who had all of the problems you describe, I would give you one advice: DVD+R with bit setting and all of your compatibility issues will be history! I am not sure they make bit setting enabled burners for the Mac though... Good luck,
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have used macs for over 5 years now. I have used every make of mac that has come off the assembly line. i have burnt dvds with them all the time. Every mac has given me the option to change burn speed. There has only been one mac that failed when changing the burn speed and that was a Emac. It had a faulty DVD Drive.

IDVD does not give you the option to change burn speed. Disk Utility does. I always use disk utilty because it is more reliable and also you dont have to recompile your projects every time you want to burn them.

Where i work is a big film production company in wales and i am pritty much the techniqition on macs there. We never bother with windows in writing dvds because they always throw up errors one way or another.

Remember mac make everything. The computer (not parts), software and the Operating system. There disk managermant tool does allow you to do this

Have you tried disk utility?

Thanks,
Nathaniel
Old December 29th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, i've tried burning a disk image with disk utility but i cant find a means of controlling burn speed/write speed in disk utility...i hit burn and off it goes no questions asked, no options given. I've searched the help file but cant find any ideas.
.......AAH..GOT IT........
i hit burn, it comes up "ready to burn" and theres a dropdown arrow which i failed to click previously...thats where the controls are!!

Many thanks, sorry to be a slow learner!
Old December 29th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Dont worry. Everything working now. I think there should be a option in IDVD to change the dvd speed but once you learn how to get around disk utility you will always make disk images.

Thanks,
Nathaniel
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center