How powerful are the new Macminis? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old February 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Major Player

How powerful are the new Macminis?

Can a new macmini play an HDV DVD that is not blue ray?
Can it smoothly play an uncompressed 5min HDV quicktime loop for a projection, daily?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Uncompressed HDV?

HDV is compressed.

You're asking if a Mac Mini can play a 5 min 1920x1080 or so HDV video clip repeatedly? I'm personally not sure.. a Core Duo, I would think, could do it. It's a mere 25 mbits a second.

Best option is export a 5 min HDV .mov, burn to DVD, go to an Apple store, let them know what you're doing, offload the .mov file to the Mac Mini HD and see what happens.

The main bottleneck I'd see is the GPU, but that's what everyone would say, and it's not really *that* bad.

Good luck!
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Major Player

So I went to the apple store and they didn't have a mini mac that had quicktime pro to test on (the HDV video on quicktime showed up as a white screen). They assured me I'd have no problem, so I bought it (and 1 gig ddram). Now I installed the latest Final cut, even an mpeg2 codec for quicktime. And the HDV file doesn't work on quicktime (shows a white screen.) BUT it works in Final cut!
So I am supposed to be installing my video in the museum of fine arts, boston now. But my HDV file works on EVERY computer accept the one that I need. I made an h.264 1920x1080 on high quality but it plays really choppy. Any experiences you guys have with this sort of thing would be really helpful, I'm just trying everything I can think of!
thanks
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Major Player

how big/resolution is the monitor(s) you'll be playing this on? I have a core duo 1.63 Ghz mini that plays backs my h.264 FX1 footage just fine. What bitrate do you have your video set at. Remember that H.264 is a very efficient codec and you don't need a 25mbps file, like even 2.5mbps should look great.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Aric,

I remember now that when you install FCP on a host computer, it installs the HDV codec into QT. The Mac Mini you tried it on didn't have FCP installed obviously :(

Sorry, I only remember that now.

H.264 is a heavy codec - if it's choppy, it means that the Mac Mini is showing weakness. It still might be able to handle the HDV (which is MPEG2) load.

Not sure how to figure this one out (other than installing FCP on the Mac Mini).

Good luck!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center